Unable to verify ApplePay, Amazon OTP or DUO

I switched from AT&T to Verizon. The phone number I received from Verizon prior to porting my number from At&t is somehow/somewhere embedded in the phone. When I try to verify my Amazon account it is not receiving the OTP code. When I try to receive the verification from DUO Mobile, I do not receive it. When adding my debit card to applepay, it makes me call my bank to verify - the bank confirms the request comes from the old phone number.

I have deleted and replaced the eSIM several times with Verizon, verified my phone number is correct in every possible location, logged out of icloud, facetime, imessage and logged back in, put the phone in airplane mode, etc. Went through apple sr support, verizon senior support, went through my bank and amazon's support as well as support from my company IT Dept regarding DUO.

NO LUCK - Please help!!

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 12:51 PM

13 replies

Apr 24, 2024 2:12 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Yes - I guess 3 separate issues

iphone 15 pro max.

I mentioned 2 cellular carriers- current Verizon. Previous AT&T

when I submit a request to add my debit card to Apple Pay, the request is coming from the temporary number that was provided from Verizon prior to the number from AT&T being ported in

Separate issue when I try to login to Amazon, it sends an OTP code that code does not come through on my phone since the switch

separate issue with the app Duo Mobile same situation when the verification code is sent to my phone it does not come through since the switch

The issue is not related to the port of my number because the port was complete calls and text messages are being completed successfully. Only issue is with OTP verification codes with some app providers or companies and an issue with verification with Apple Pay, which leads me to believe the number that was provided temporarily by Verizon is somehow embedded in the settings of the phone.

Apr 24, 2024 4:14 PM in response to jw1579

You’re between a rock and a hard place. The solution is not an option. Start changing numbers and that will trip fraud alerts. It could be weeks, maybe longer for the fraud alerts to reset.

Verizon embedded the number in the iPhone. Verizon needs to change the number embedded to the number you want. When you try to verify financial accounts the iPhone reports the embedded number. The financial institutions detect the number as a fraudster attempting to add your account/card.

There is nothing Apple can do. Apple can only report what Verizon has done.

Apr 24, 2024 5:10 PM in response to jw1579

It’s probably embedded in the eSIM. It’s also possible it’s in the Secure Element, but I doubt that. The only way I know to switch the number is when the phone comes off contract. Some high level of engineering support at Verizon can probably do the switch, but base support just can’t do it. Apple can’t change it because of the contract. It’s Verizon’s phone.

Apr 25, 2024 3:49 AM in response to jw1579

The eSIM on the iPhone 15 Pro can have 8 numbers stored and 2 can be active at any given time. One of the 8 numbers is the issue. I would go into a Verizon corporate store (not an authorized reseller) and try to get the manager or a technician to assist with your issue. Because of the contract there literally is nothing Apple can do, but you’re welcome to contact Apple Support at 1-800-MY-APPLE.

Unable to verify ApplePay, Amazon OTP or DUO

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.