Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Problems Reinstall and Open iTunes

My Dell laptop with Windows 10 crashed and I have to reinstall Windows 10. I have a backup from last Saturday (April 20) and the iTunes Library.itl backup was dated 3/23/2024. I tried to reinstall iTunes with version 12.10.11, after installation finished, I opened iTunes and got the error: The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.

So maybe that wasn't the latest iTunes, so I went to Microsoft Store and download it, but the installation stuck at the window saying "Retrieving information from the Microsoft Store" and won't go any further. I have disabled my anti-virus and still won't proceed.

So what could be the problem? How can I make iTunes read my library?

Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 2:16 PM

4 replies

May 2, 2024 7:45 AM in response to bj6264

Strange enough, my AVG anti-virus program detected that there was an update for my iTunes and I clicked update the program, AVG updated the program for me. After it was updated, I was able to open iTunes without any issues.

I still don't know why I couldn't install it from the Microsoft store. I have tried to install other apps as well and they were all stuck at "Retrieving information from the Microsoft Store" window, I have even disable all my anti-virus programs.

Apr 24, 2024 3:13 PM in response to startrekker1

OK, I was able to update iTunes to the latest version and now all my playlists and songs are back. However, when I tried to play some songs, the error message said "couldn't locate the song, would you like to locate it"?

The iTunes Media was located in Music > iTunes folder, as well as the iTunes Music folder was there too and all my songs were in these folders. So what went wrong? Why couldn't iTunes find those songs from those folders? Should I move the songs folder to some place else?

Any suggestions/comments are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Problems Reinstall and Open iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.