Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I want to upgrade to an operating system that can handle the numbers app

I have a Macbook Pro that has been upgraded from OS X El Capitan to Catalina, but it still can't handle the Numbers app. Don't make me use Microsoft. Is there a spreadsheet app that older computers can install, or can the operating system be upgraded to the 12 level?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 2:55 PM

3 replies

Apr 24, 2024 4:50 PM in response to SGIII

Thank you for your response. Since I last posted, I was able to upgrade the operating system to Monterey. It does not appear that I am able to go any higher and it turns out that the numbers app requires an OS 13 level. Monterey is 12.7. I also downloaded an open source spreadsheet called Open Office. It was not compatible with my operating system. I can look at your suggestion.

I already own a Microsoft 365 subscription for a PC, but I have heard that Microsoft says that if you subscribe, they will own your data for AI purposes. Have you heard this? If it is true, my goal is to avoid Microsoft at all costs.

Apr 24, 2024 5:43 PM in response to renradd

I am not sure about the Microsoft 365 fine print. You could go through the privacy policy. Since so many business use it assume there are some protections, but again I don't know for sure. I use it, but do not have concerns about the content I put on it.

LibreOffice (I believe) is similar to Open Office, perhaps an offshoot of it at one point? I haven't looked for a while but I seem to remember different versions so you might be able download a version that will work on your system.

Of course the most satisfying choice in the end may be to trade in your old machine and get one that can handle more recent versions of macOS (and Numbers).😀

SG

I want to upgrade to an operating system that can handle the numbers app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.