Issue with Break Time Calculation in Apple Numbers Spreadsheet

Hello Apple Community,

I’m currently using Apple Numbers to create an income report spreadsheet. The spreadsheet includes columns such as date, description of work, time in, time out, break in, break out, hours in decimal, rate per hour, and the sum of the specific rate and time.

The spreadsheet is able to calculate the sum amount and the decimal version of the hours accurately using the time in and time out. However, it seems to not take into consideration the break times. All cells are formatted specifically to either dollar amount, decimal, or time-related, but the math doesn’t seem to be correct.

Here is the formula that I’m using:

(HOUR('Time Out:' 'Saturday, March 2, 2024') + MINUTE('Time Out:' 'Saturday, March 2, 2024')÷60) − (HOUR('Time In:' 'Saturday, March 2, 2024') + MINUTE('Time In:' 'Saturday, March 2, 2024')÷60) − IF(AND(ISNUMBER('Break In:' 'Saturday, March 2, 2024'), ISNUMBER('Break Out:' 'Saturday, March 2, 2024')), (HOUR('Break Out:' 'Saturday, March 2, 2024') + MINUTE('Break Out:' 'Saturday, March 2, 2024')÷60) − (HOUR('Break In:' 'Saturday, March 2, 2024') + MINUTE('Break In:' 'Saturday, March 2, 2024')÷60), 0)

And in some rows, it’s displayed as:

(HOUR(D3) + MINUTE(D3)÷60) − (HOUR(C3) + MINUTE(C3)÷60) − IF(AND(ISNUMBER(E3), ISNUMBER(F3)), (HOUR(F3) + MINUTE(F3)÷60) − (HOUR(E3) + MINUTE(E3)÷60), 0)

I would appreciate any insight or help to resolve this issue. Thank you in advance!

Best,

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 3:27 PM

3 replies

Apr 24, 2024 5:49 PM in response to AlexanderLG

Where did you get these formulas?

Have you had a look at the 'Employee Schedule' template at File > New in your menu? It has a 'Sign In' table that demonstrates how to calculate hours worked, including a break.

Its formulas take advantage the Duration format in Numbers, which Excel doesn't have. They are simpler than the formula you posted.

SG

Issue with Break Time Calculation in Apple Numbers Spreadsheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.