Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: About the security content of iOS 17.4 and iPadOS 17.4

Why my phone can’t Be updated

Rr

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 5:15 PM

1 reply

Apr 24, 2024 5:40 PM in response to Joshuaarthurs

Well, there are a lot of possible reasons. Without more information all I can do is list as many of them as I can think of. To update over the air from the phone all of these requirements must be met:

• You need at least 10 GB of free storage for iOS 16 and later or 6 GB for iOS 15 or lower; more is better
  • You must be connected to a Wi-Fi network (and not a personal hotspot) unless it is an iPhone that supports cellular 5G (12, 13, 14, 15 or SE 3rd edition) AND has a 5G network connection
  • The phone must be charged to at least 50%, and preferably plugged in so it stays above 50% during the update
  • The phone must not be in Low Power Mode
  • The phone must not be connected through VPN, and it may be necessary to delete any VPN apps and VPN profiles
  • The phone cannot be in Airplane mode and must have a cellular data connection
  • You cannot still have a beta of a previous version installed on the phone
  • You cannot have a previous version that was downloaded, but not installed - go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage to look; if you find an iOS installer, delete it

If you can't meet all of them you can still update using your computer: 

Here are 2 links, choose the one for your computer.

Why my phone can’t Be updated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.