Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Transfer photos to save them off of an old Mac 2010 desktop.

Unable to update from Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. I have 20,000 photos! I can no longer sign in to iCloud.

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 6:34 PM

6 replies

Apr 25, 2024 9:40 AM in response to Ziaboo24

Have you put a lot of organizational effort into your Photos 2 library, i.e. folders, titles, keywords and descriptions?

If you haven't the do this:

1 - copy the library to an external drive formatted either APFS (if SSD) or OS X Extended (journaled) if HDD.

2 - plug the drive into your new Mac, open your Photos library and use the File ➙ Inert menu item to select and import the photos from your old library into the new one.

If you've put a lot of organizational effort into the old library this:

1 - copy the library to an external drive formatted either APFS (if SSD) or OS X Extended (journaled) if HDD.

2 - plug the drive into your new Mac.

3 - purchase a copy of PowerPhotos .

4 - open PowerPhotos and add your old library and your current library to it's sidebar.

5 - merge the old library into the new library. This is a user tip on the differences between using Photos vs PowerPhotos: Importing a Photos Library into Another Photos Library: PowerPhotos vs Photos - Apple Community.

Apr 25, 2024 4:14 AM in response to Ziaboo24

I have over 20,000 in iPhotos on my old Mac desktop (from mid 2010) that I would like to save that were downloaded from digital cameras, an old iPad and an old iPhone. I can no longer sign in to iCloud on the Mac as of about a month ago, but I can sign in on my current iPhone (2023) and iPad (2020) where iCloud shows I have 2,237 photos. My question is how can I save all the photos from the Mac?

Apr 25, 2024 6:49 AM in response to Ziaboo24

The year these various devices were made/purchased is of less relevance that the version of the operating system on them, and well as the actual software used to manage the photographs.

Most basic solution: Start up the Mac and connect a flash drive or external drive to it and drag the images to that drive.

This could be more complex if these images are in a iPhoto or Photos library. Are they? And of so, what version of the OS is on the Mac, and where are you hoping to store them going forward?

Apr 25, 2024 9:23 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you. It is a Mac OS version 10.12.6, 27 inch desktop which no longer is able to be updated. I have Photos version 2.0 with 20,000 photos. So I will need to buy a flash drive or external drive then before continuing (any suggestions appreciated) and I also should delete as many photos as I can which will take some time.

So for now, I guess my next question would be if I put the photos on a drive, can I use that on an iPad to view them? The ultimate goal was to get rid of the monster Mac when we move in a few months but still save the photos.

Transfer photos to save them off of an old Mac 2010 desktop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.