Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Kernel Panic when opening up my MacBook Pro from sleep

This problem is intermittent, meaning it doesn't happen every time I close my computer and open up again later, but it happens.

Here is the recurring panic message that appears:

I don't know why it's doing this. In the past kernel panics have been caused by overheating because I didn't clean the fans for long enough, but this time I know I cleaned the fans several weeks ago or a month ago.

I even got an error message about a Panic Medic Boot, saying that "a third-party kernel extension was preventing the machine from starting up."

The third-party applications I have are:

• Steam
  • Minecraft
  • Roblox
  • VisualStudioCode
  • FileZilla
  • PyCharm
  • Python
  • OneDrive
  • Respondus LockDown Browser

I did just update all applications that had updates available using the App Store (only one was OneDrive, which does have disk access).

My MacBook Pro is a 2017 15'' MacBook Pro with an Intel processor. It is about 5 years old (from when I bought it). I plan on keeping this one for the rest of the current college semester.

I'm wondering how can I troubleshoot this problem on my own.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 7:17 PM

2 replies

Apr 25, 2024 10:38 PM in response to JustSomeAverageJoe

Kernel Panic logs are located in "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports". If you cannot find it there, then check the "Retired" subfolder since macOS can sometimes move logs into there very quickly. Kernel Panic files usually begin with "kernel" and end in ".panic". Post several of them if possible so we can see if there is any pattern to them.

Post them here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper on the forum editing toolbar.

You may also want to run the third party app EtreCheck and post the complete report here as well so we can examine it for clues. This report will contain a summary of the relevant logs as well although it may not always include enough of the Kernel Panic logs.

Kernel Panic when opening up my MacBook Pro from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.