Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Unable to connect my Apple TV to my WIFI

Network comes up on tv screen but won’t connect. Error 100

someone said to change the wpa. How do I do that?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 7:31 PM

1 reply

Apr 25, 2024 12:53 PM in response to Foughty

Is this about the use of the legacy Apple TV box [model A1378, A1427, or A1469], or the non-legacy Apple TV HD (4th generation) [A1624]?

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Find your Apple TV model number - Apple Support

The description below wouldn’t apply to the Apple TV 4K models; as all those support WPA3.

3. For Apple TV (4th generation or earlier), verify that the router or access point isn’t set to use WPA3, as only device models from ~2018 or later support that. Instead use ‘WPA2/WPA3 Transitional’. Some users report that they had to set ‘WPA2’-only first.

WPA versions can be configured on the Wi-Fi capable router (or Wi-Fi access point). The details of the interface will be different for each model router, which makes a general step-by-step guide impossible. Consider contacting your router manufacturer or your ISP if you need hands-on support, when the description below isn’t sufficient.

For my model router, I use a web browser on a computer (or mobile) to access the router settings through its IP address (http://192.168.x.1/) (where x can be anything in the range 0–255). This seems to be quite common. The LAN IP address for the router can be different for mine than for yours — it is as configured in its settings, and/or as suggested by your ISP. The network settings on your computer or mobile should show ⓘ the IP address of the router; you can look that up. It will often be in the form of 192.168.x.1, but there are also other valid ranges.

When having access to the router settings, find the settings for Wi-Fi. From there, find the Security settings for this Wi-Fi network. It should list something like “Encryption method”, or “WPA Encryption”. That may give a choice or WPA version or WPA mode. Use the highest version that all your devices support. For a mix of WPA2-compatible devices and WPA3-compatible devices, the router may have an option for “WP2+WPA3”, where WPA2-compatible devices can connect through WPA2, and WPA3-compatible devices can connect through WPA3; the best of both worlds.

Unable to connect my Apple TV to my WIFI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.