What do I transfer (had kernel pancis and SBOD) via Migration Assistant after erasing hard drive and doing fresh Install of Catalina on a new user account?

Will try to remember everything that happened leading up to this. Using: macOS Catalina 10.15.7 iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) Processor 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB 1 TB hard drive

Back story to my question: So about 2 weeks or so ago I started getting the spinning ball of death and kernel panics (well this has happened before). The last thing I remember is transferring photos/videos from my current iphone 13 pro max to photos app and my hard drive had about 85 or 88 GB left on it. Also I had installed WPS office the free version like maybe a month before. Also was had Davinci Resolve on there (older version for Catalina) and had an older version of Final Cut Pro 10.4.7 and had added Motion but wasn't really using that. I mainly use My Passport for Mac 5TB drive and have 2 other GTech smaller drives. Tried reinstalling Catalina, drive resetting NVRAM, tried quitting finder, unplugged main plug and all other plugs attached to the Mac. Tried a command in terminal that was suggested (can't remember what the command was but that didn't work might have been fixing dynamic link error), repaired permissions in reinstall mode, tried safe boot, kept getting the icloud error message when I'd turn my Mac on, like I couldn't do hardly anything in Finder or even open browsers without waiting like 20 or more minutes for the ball to stop. Spent 2 weeks trying to solve it. Other problem I was having was that My Passport for Mac wasn't showing up on my desktop for like 10 minutes after it was plugged it. It always eventually showed up. Also when I'd log in after shutting down I'd get this black screen for a bit then my desktop would come back. I was trying to transfer my current photos library to my external drive and couldn't (some permission error and I tried everything to fix it) so ended up doing the open package contents and dragging over files one by one then renaming the libary with proper extension then tried opening it and kept getting the processing photos status bar at the end of my Photos app window (when you click months or years there is a status bar at the end that kept cycling through and never completing) after hours so gave up on that because the beach ball was unbearable. Then I thought okay I've had enough my 7 week Time Machine back up is good enough so erased my hard drive and then reinstalled from the Time Machine back I had. So intially after that things worked fine for the first day after the fresh reinstall from the back up. Then the SBOD came back along with the kernal panics. No idea why this was happened and I had spent too much time trying to solve it to no avail. (I'm thinking both are software related because no errors came up using repair disk utility) In the past I've been able to get my iMac up and running. Now I was using the original Catalina version prior to 10.15.7 (because everytime I updated to the current version I'd get some kind of error with a black screen something about drivers (all a blur now) and had read that there as no updates for Catalina and something about the current version that broke something in the line of drivers. I did hit update that after the ball of death/kernel panics started happening.

Udate to today: I wiped my drive clean again and this time I just chose reinstall Catalina and this time did the update to 10.15.7. I set up a new user account which I'm now. Instagram won't work with the lastest Safari I can upgrade to with this iMac (still trying to figure that out but seems to be a common issue online) so installed Brave (which is what I usually use for Instagram and You Tube anyway as Chrome seems to slow down my Mac). Not having the issues I was having so that's good so far.

My question is I have a 7 week Time Machine back up on my external drive and want to use Migration Assistant to transfer things over. What should I transfer over to avoid the previous issues of kernel panics and SPOD? Do I transfer documents, user account and applications? I have the current apps installed that came with Catalina.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 7:54 PM

7 replies

Apr 29, 2024 6:12 PM in response to hcsitas

Okay I took a look and I'm still confused something is broken in that previous user account where I have my back up so I messed up I think I created a new user account then did migration assistant and transferred everything over including the old user account but there is a problem in that account somewhere because I get spinning ball of death there. So I have the old user account on my current iMac with the same spinning ball issue and the new user account. How do I get the migration assistant to transfer over the apps, documents, movies, photos etc without the old user account? My iMac was working great with just a new user account before I did the migration assistant with the old user account. Should I delete the hard drive again and try to open up time machine on new user account and see if I can bring stuff over to the new user account? Even with the old user account on my iMac the new user account I created with nothing in it seems to be working better. Thinking it may be an app or something with my user permissions. Spent weeks trying to figure this out and I'm stumped so just want to try and get my files back in a way I can copy them over. I know I'm probably overthinking this.

What do I transfer (had kernel pancis and SBOD) via Migration Assistant after erasing hard drive and doing fresh Install of Catalina on a new user account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.