Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to track a lost iPhone

hi, I recently just lost an iPhone 14, I tried tracking it since yesterday but the phone has been turned off, is there a way you guys could help ?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 12:10 AM

5 replies

Apr 25, 2024 9:08 AM in response to uele637

I tried tracking it since yesterday but the phone has been turned off

Not sure how you know that the phone has been turned off. The phone will not show up on the Find My map for several reasons:

• The battery has run down
  • The phone does not have a connection to the Internet where it is currently located
  • The phone has been placed in a special type of bag....that is well known to iPhone thieves.....that will not allow the phone to send or receive a signal at all

Fact is, the phone can still be located if the right conditions exist.....even if if it has been turned off.

If you have another phone there, go through the power off sequence. Do you see the phrase "iPhone Findable After Power Off"?

If your iPhone or iPad is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Apr 25, 2024 8:53 AM in response to uele637

uele637 wrote:

hi, I recently just lost an iPhone 14, I tried tracking it since yesterday but the phone has been turned off, is there a way you guys could help ?

This is a user-to-user technical support forum. No one here can track your phone. I suggest you start with Apple's advice here:

If your iPhone or iPad is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Apr 25, 2024 12:48 AM in response to uele637

Oh no, sorry to hear about your lost iPhone! If it's been turned off, tracking it through Find My iPhone can be tricky since it needs to be online to show its current location. Here are a few things you can do:

1. Keep Checking Find My iPhone: Sometimes the phone might come back online if someone turns it on. Check the Find My app or the iCloud website periodically.
  2. Mark as Lost: You can use the Find My app to lock your phone and display a custom message with a contact number on the lock screen. This way, if someone finds it, they know how to reach you.
  3. Notify Your Carrier: Let your carrier know about the lost phone. They can disable your account to prevent any unauthorized use.
  4. Report to the Police: If you believe your phone was stolen, you might consider filing a police report with the serial number. This might not get your phone back, but it’s a good precautionary step.

Apr 25, 2024 9:20 AM in response to uele637

Here is what you see when you power off your iPhone from what Bob Timmons described:

Being turned off does not stop the tracking of your device. There are many reasons why it might show unavailable and you will just need to wait until the location gets updates. It may take another Apple device to get within Bluetooth range to update the location of your iPhone.

How to track a lost iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.