Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Should I buy the M1 or M2 MacBook Air?

I am currently using a 2015 MacBook Pro and plan to use student discount to replace it with a new one, but I am struggling to make the decision between the M1 or M2. My main uses are writing papers, making tables and other document work, some times i will do video editing but videos are less than ten minutes.

Hope to get some recommendations. Thank you!

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 12:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 2:18 AM

M2 is about $200 more expensive. They are very similar in terms of specs, a limitation is slow speed of SSD of M2 because of apple using only one chip as opposed to 2 on the M1, but If you get the 512 GB SSD on the M2 along with 8gb of ram you're golden.

9 replies

Apr 25, 2024 4:18 AM in response to morseyara

morseyara wrote:

I am currently using a 2015 MacBook Pro and plan to use student discount to replace it with a new one, but I am struggling to make the decision between the M1 or M2. My main uses are writing papers, making tables and other document work, some times i will do video editing but videos are less than ten minutes.

Hope to get some recommendations. Thank you!

There have been two generations of Apple Silicon processors since the M1 series. Apple no longer sells any new M1-series notebooks, or any new M2-series MacBook Pros. The remaining M2-series MacBook Airs are basically price-point models for those who don't want to spend a little bit extra to get current M3-series models.

There are three rough "tiers" in the Apple Silicon notebook line:

• 13" {M1/M2/M3} MacBook Airs, 15" {M2/M3} MacBook Airs, and 13" {M1/M2} MacBook Pros.
  • 14" {M3} MacBook Pros – the replacements for the 13" M2 MacBook Pros. These picked up the same screen, HDMI port, and SDXC card slot as higher-end MBPs, but in other ways, are similar to entry-level models.
  • 14" and 16" {M1/M2/M3} {Pro/Max} MacBook Pros. These are the only ones that have three USB-C (TB) ports, and that can drive two (sometimes more) external monitors with the lid open.

It's slightly confusing, but you can trace this back to the late Intel days, when Apple segmented the 13" MBP line into "Four Thunderbolt Port" models and "Two Thunderbolt Port" models. The "Two Thunderbolt Port" models turned into the 13" {M1/M2} MBPs and the 14" M3 MBP. The "Four Thunderbolt Port" models turned into the 14" {M1/M2/M3} {Pro/Max} ones.

Within the MacBook Air line, I would definitely go for a M2 or M3 MacBook Air over a M1 MacBook Air. M2 and M3 models have a MagSafe 3 charging port, have a better sound system, can be ordered with 24 GB of RAM (if that is something you need), and are further away from the day when repair parts and service become unavailable. Plus, they are (or were) available in a choice of 13" and 15" screen sizes. With the M1 MacBook Airs, you could have any screen size you wanted as long as it was 13".

Another small difference: The M1 and M2 MacBook Airs can only drive one external display. The M3 MacBook Airs can drive two external displays when – and only when – their lids are closed. (A heads-up - the selection of Retina modes might not be as good for the second display as for the first.)

Apr 25, 2024 10:15 AM in response to morseyara

If you look at MacBook Airs on the U.S. Apple Store site, the cheapest M2 MacBook Air (8/8/16-core, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB storage) is $999. The cheapest M3 MacBook Air (8/8/16-core, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB storage) is $1099.

There's probably not a huge functional difference for most things. On the other hand, the M3 models

• Have hardware-accelerated ray tracing (a potential advantage for some games)
  • Can drive two external monitors with the lid closed (even though the second monitor probably can't run in any Retina mode higher than Retina "like 2560x1440")
  • Are still available new in 15" versions (Apple discontinued the 15" M2 MacBook Airs when M3 ones came out)
  • Reportedly implement 256 GBs using two 128 GB chips (like the M1 MacBook Airs did), thus making 256 GB SSDs in the M3 models faster than the ones in the M2 models. (Even the 256 GB M2 MacBook Airs are faster than any USB 3.0 / SATA SSD you can buy, and the issue goes away completely if you get a 512+ GB SSD.)

One gets the feeling that Apple kept some M2 MacBook Airs around only so that they could offer something at the "magic" $999 price point.

Apr 25, 2024 8:36 AM in response to paulosko

paulosko wrote:

Hey there! Upgrading your MacBook Pro is a great move, especially with a student discount. For your needs—writing papers, crafting documents, and occasional short video editing—the M1 MacBook Pro could be an excellent choice. It's super efficient, has more than enough power for document-related tasks, and can handle video editing smoothly. The M1 chip is also a big leap in performance compared to older models, so you'll notice a significant improvement.

What about the fact that Apple doesn't sell them anymore? How is Apple's student discount going to help if the user has to buy the machine somewhere else?

Apr 25, 2024 4:29 AM in response to morseyara

Hey there! Upgrading your MacBook Pro is a great move, especially with a student discount. For your needs—writing papers, crafting documents, and occasional short video editing—the M1 MacBook Pro could be an excellent choice. It's super efficient, has more than enough power for document-related tasks, and can handle video editing smoothly. The M1 chip is also a big leap in performance compared to older models, so you'll notice a significant improvement.

The M2, on the other hand, offers even more power and enhanced graphics capabilities, which is great if you think you'll dive deeper into video editing or other demanding applications in the future. However, it comes at a higher price point. If budget is a concern, the M1 will serve you brilliantly and save you some money. Both are fantastic machines, so your decision might just hinge on how much you want to future-proof for potentially heavier use down the line. Enjoy your new MacBook, whichever you choose!

Apr 25, 2024 8:29 AM in response to woodmeister50

Absolutely agree with opting for the new M3 MacBook Air over the M1 or M2. The ability to support dual external monitors simultaneously is a game changer for those of us who rely on multi-screen setups to boost productivity or enhance our entertainment experience. The M3 not only brings this significant advantage but also offers upgraded specs that cater to the needs of modern users aiming to optimize their workspace efficiently. If you're looking for versatility along with powerful performance, the M3 is the way to go. Definitely a smart choice for future-proofing your tech arsenal!

Should I buy the M1 or M2 MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.