Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

MacBook bound to email of seller

Hello,

I ordered a second-hand MacBook air (in Dec 2023) on ebay and when I got it I could configure / use my apple account. Some months afterwards, I had to to reset the laptop and now am stuck. There is an email associated to the laptop. I guess the previous user has to remove this device from his apple id online and I should be able to continue the steps. The seller is not responding to messages I sent him through ebay. The laptop is actually unusable. What can I do actually ?

I have been using the laptop for like 3 months so Apple can find out that I have previously been a user.

MacBook Air (2018 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 1:36 AM

3 replies

Apr 25, 2024 2:09 AM in response to Mac1408

The MacBook is activation locked due to the seller have not removed it from his account the proper way. The only way you can handle right now is trying to contact the seller. Apple will not remove the lock if you're not the original owner/cannot provide valid proof of purchase information I am afraid, as activation lock is a theft deterrent system

Apr 25, 2024 4:47 AM in response to Mac1408

Mac1408 wrote:

Thanks unfortunately I can only contact seller through ebay messages. And seller is not responding. I have however a proof of transaction provided by ebay.

Proof of an eBay transaction with a seller who is not responding is not going to be good enough to convince Apple to remove Activation Lock. If the seller is not responding, that is very suspicious - assuming for sake of argument that the Mac wasn't stolen, why wouldn't the seller want to respond and fix the problem with the sale?

I believe what Apple would require is proof of original purchase from Apple or an authorized reseller, with a receipt clearly showing the serial number of the Mac in question. Or something like that.

Something that you don't have and can't provide. You need to take this up with the seller … or failing that, take it up with eBay and your credit card company. Unless the owner to whom that Mac is locked unlocks the Activation Lock, that Mac will remain a brick.

MacBook bound to email of seller

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.