Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Wireless Car Charging Not Working with iPhone 15

Hello all :)

I use an iPhone 15 with latest software version. I drive a 2023 BMW which has a wireless charging pad as standard. Unfortunately the wireless charging does not work at all. The Bluetooth connection is working just fine (for wireless Apple Car Play etc.)

I have tried wireless charging with and without the standard silicone case. I do not have or use a MagSafe case. There's no charging connection at all when I place the phone on the pad. I have tried moving it around in different positions but there's no power going to the phone at all.

I have read online that it's possible the protuding camera lens on the iPhone 15 causes some connection problems with wirless charging pads but I don't know if this is actually true. I haven't tried charging any other phones yet but will.

Can anyone please help with this - ideally a charging solution that does not involve wires or changing phone or car would be great!

For example - would a MagSafe case help to improve the connection between the phone and the pad? Or some other case?

Help or advice much appreciated. Many thanks!

Matthew

iPhone 15

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 2:27 AM

3 replies

Apr 30, 2024 5:55 AM in response to Matthew Nolan

While less likely, there's a chance the wireless charging pad itself might be malfunctioning.

Here's how you can troubleshoot:

• Try a Different Phone: See if another phone charges wirelessly in your car. This will help isolate if the issue is with your iPhone or the car's pad.
  • MagSafe Case: A MagSafe case might help bridge the gap between the camera bump and the charging pad, potentially improving the connection. However, since your car's pad isn't MagSafe compatible, it might not be the most effective solution.

Apr 30, 2024 5:56 AM in response to Matthew Nolan

Matthew Nolan wrote:

Hello all :)

I have read online that it's possible the protuding camera lens on the iPhone 15 causes some connection problems with wirless charging pads but I don't know if this is actually true. I haven't tried charging any other phones yet but will.

This protruding camera lens is there in all iPhone 12 and above and that may not be the root cause.

Apr 30, 2024 6:04 AM in response to Matthew Nolan

Yes, the protruding camera bump can in many cars prevent an iPhone from charging on a wireless pad. But that's not necessarily true with ALL car charging mats. The other issue is where the cars magnetic coil is located relative to where the charging coil is in the back of your iPhone. If they are not aligned well, which many many car mats suffer, you won't get the phone to charge. For example, in our cars, my iPhone 15 Pro Max won't charge on the charging mat. But our 15 Pro will. This is caused by the cars charging mat not being aligned in a way to connect with the charging coil in the iPhone.

The reality is MOST cars have very inferior wireless charging systems in their cars. To me, it's just not something I need to use very often and I'm sure if your car has a charging mat, it also has USB (either A or C) plugs and if you can't get the phone to charge wirelessly, just plug it in.

Wireless Car Charging Not Working with iPhone 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.