Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Pencil 2 Burns (Brown Stains)

Hi, I'm using iPad Air 5 and Apple Pencil 2. Yesterday I noticed that brown burns had on the sides of the pen. When I looked at the tablet, the same stains appeared on the part where the same part of the pen coincided with. Why do these happen and what can I do?

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 2:58 AM

1 reply

Apr 25, 2024 3:06 AM in response to evko00

These are not burns, or marks caused by heat.

Your photos illustrate localised surface wear of the anodised finish of the iPad. The marks corresponds with the magnetic contact points of your Apple Pencil. Any abrasive dust or grit that is present when docking the Pencil can abrade the anodised finish of the iPad - this occurring gradually over time.

Basic material science tells us that hard/abrasive particulate material (commonly occurring in environmental dust) will embed itself in the surface of the softer material (in this case, the body of the Pencil) - and this can abrade the surface of the harder material (the anodised coating) as the Pencil slides on/off of the iPad charging pad.

Keeping these surfaces clean and dust free can reduce the possibility of cosmetic surface damage.

Apple Pencil 2 Burns (Brown Stains)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.