Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone XR halts charging at 80%

I live in Kolkata, India and temperature here at 17:00 is 40C

Today while charging my phone up from 48% in the morning I noticed that it had stopped charging at 80% and a notification reading “Device will resume charging when temperature falls” was showing for the past 8 mins

The body temperature however felt completely normal

I disconnected and reconnected the device after 5 minutes to let the phone cool down if at all however even after 30 minutes the phone hadnt charged

I restarted the device while plugged in and left if for another 15 mins and noticed that it had charged up to 86% however when I checked again after 15 mins the same happened, the device wasnt charging and was still at 86%

No high temperature notification was displayed either

I restarted again thinking it was an iOS 17.4.1 bug but after restarting the batter went up to 91% and another subsequent recharge brought it down to 86%

It hasnt charged since then even though I plugged it in for another 15 minutes

Note: I wasnt using the device while charging

Note: I have optimised battery charging, location, bluetooth, internet and background app refresh turned off

Note: I had a recent battery replacement, original unit from Apple and it is at 100% battery health

Any help or suggestion in the matter would be great! Thank you

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 5:27 AM

1 reply

Apr 25, 2024 6:14 AM in response to WrishavSett

Use iOS and iPadOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause your device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS or iPadOS device in very hot conditions can permanently shorten battery life.

If your iPhone or iPad gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support

iPhone XR halts charging at 80%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.