Creating OSX Lion bootable USB from a modern OSX (Sonoma)

I retrieved an Intel Macbook A1369 that came with OSX Lion. It does not boot. Tried all the bootup magic keys.

Recovery partition, Internet recovery fail consistently. My Macbook Sonoma OSX will not let me create a Bootable Lion USB. I tried all the Terminal article/tricks and DiskUtility options fail. And I mean "ALL".......

My last hope is to buy a bootable Lion installer DVD/CD or USB - unless somebody has a magic wand.

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 6:22 AM

4 replies

Apr 25, 2024 7:16 AM in response to Aloneinthelight

It is not possible to create a bootable USB installer on any Mac that cannot actually run that operating system. Refer to Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support. Since that Mac can run an operating system as late as High Sierra, try to find a Mac that can actually boot and run High Sierra. Those Macs encompass a much wider model range; all the way up to 2017 or so.

OS X 10.7.x "Lion" has never been distributed on DVD/CD or USB. If you find something like that it's an illegitimate copy, with all the concerns that would entail.

I tried all the Terminal article/tricks and DiskUtility options fail. And I mean "ALL".......

Then it is likely the Mac's hardware has failed.

An A1369 is a MacBook Air which has no optical drive anyway. Not a MacBook. Are you certain of that model number?

Apr 25, 2024 5:03 PM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

OS X 10.7.x "Lion" has never been distributed on DVD/CD or USB.

Apple never distributed Lion on DVD/CD, but they did distribute Lion on USB flash drives.

AppleInsider (Jul 20, 2011) – Mac OS X Lion will be available on USB thumb drive for $69 in August

That said, I suspect that most of the USB flash drives on "marketplace" sites that contain Lion are bootlegs, "with all the concerns that would entail."

Creating OSX Lion bootable USB from a modern OSX (Sonoma)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.