Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: Make purchases using Apple Pay

payment protection

I used ApplePay to process a transaction for a major purchase online. The seller is a real business that produces and delivers goods on a take-order basis, so there is an agreed-upon processing time and related fees at purchase. The product has never been shipped. I purchased 15days processing time and expedited shipping, and 37 days have now passed.

Can I contest this charge or submit a chargeback through ApplePay. Does ApplePay have purchase protection similar to other payment platforms?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 11:26 AM

Chattanoogan’s post explains the options. Apple Pay is a payment system. Payment methods are the credit, debit or prepaid debit cards used to fund the transaction. If there is any payment protection, it’s offered by the payment method.

Did you use Apple Cash (debit card) or another payment method?

In my personal experience, it’s best to start with the merchant and request the refund from the merchant. They may be aware of delays and refund the payment etc. If the merchant refund is not an option contact the payment method used, using the phone number on the back of the card.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2024 11:26 AM in response to delusional_chauffeur

Chattanoogan’s post explains the options. Apple Pay is a payment system. Payment methods are the credit, debit or prepaid debit cards used to fund the transaction. If there is any payment protection, it’s offered by the payment method.

Did you use Apple Cash (debit card) or another payment method?

In my personal experience, it’s best to start with the merchant and request the refund from the merchant. They may be aware of delays and refund the payment etc. If the merchant refund is not an option contact the payment method used, using the phone number on the back of the card.

Apr 25, 2024 12:11 PM in response to delusional_chauffeur

Apple Pay isn’t a payment method. It’s a payment system. If I want purchase protection, damage protection, extended warranty etc. I use the Chase, Wells Fargo or American Express card in my Apple Wallet/Apple Pay that does. The benefits/protections come from the payment method, not the payment system (Apple Pay).

Debit cards typically offer less benefits than credit cards, but in some cases debit cards offer protections/benefits that are offered by the Payment Network (Mastercard, Visa). I know this sounds complicated, so that’s why I’m trying to explain how all the banks, payment networks, cards, etc. work together.

If you have additional questions, this is a safe place to ask questions.

Apr 25, 2024 12:23 PM in response to Jeff Donald

“… In the future, I will have to return to a different payment intermediary who offers purchase protection … “

As Jeff posted, if you’re looking for “payment protection” … that’s generally in the realm of Credit Cards.

Apple pay “augments” any participating legacy credit card with security enhancements … not the least of which being able to NOT use the physical card. (every time a physical card “comes out” or it’s number entered in a web site is a chance for it to be compromised)

Best of luck going forward. 👋

Apr 25, 2024 11:48 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Thank you, I understand now. It was a debit card via ApplePay. I have contacted the merchant, and I understand that the next step would be my Credit Union. In the future, I will have to return to a different payment intermediary who offers purchase protection... too bad, ApplePay was tempting because of convenience and brand recognition.

payment protection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.