Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

superdrive will trow out disk on higher track numbers

Hi,

Years ago I bought a new SuperDrive A1379. It used to work flawlessly, but last week it started throwing out the disc at the higher track numbers. I hadn't used the Superdrive in ages.

I bought four CDs that I wanted to rip so I can put them on another medium and play them in my car:

Two ripped just fine.

One ripped fine until it reached the last track number. Then it'll throw out the CD.

The last one will rip everything up to the last few tracks. The fast three or four track numbers somehow just can't seem to be ripped. Somewhere between 10 and 30 seconds into the track, the player will stop and throw out the CD.

I've tried that last one on a Windows computer at work -> plays all the numbers as it should.

Looks like the problem is caused by the Superdrive, not by the CDs.

And I'm under the impression, that the CDs that can be ripped without problems are "shorter". As in "hold less information". Since a CD is read from the inside out, I suspect the head isn't able any longer to reach the outside of a disk.

Any suggestions on how to fix this are welcome. I don't want to buy a new CD/DVD player/burner because I don't need one often enough.

Thanks in advance

Mathy

iMac (M3, 2023)

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 9:55 AM

1 reply

superdrive will trow out disk on higher track numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.