Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Why can't Mojave read half my audio CD collection?

I use three different Macs. I have an M2 MBP, a Mac Mini 2012 running Mojave that's my main music iTunes library, and an old 2010 MBP running High Sierra I use at work for websurfing.

The two Macs at home just flat out refuse to read around half of my Audio CDs. For instance, History of Modern by OMD, released in 2010 and a brand new factory fresh copy, can't be read. I get 'This disc is unreadable by this Mac', or something. I can't mount it, can't do anything with it except eject it. I take the exact same CD with the exact same external DVDROM drive to work, and it mounts, reads and rips just fine in High Sierra on my 2010 MBP. I've even ripped CDs on my G4 iMac (Lamp) that I keep around just to run old PPC Music production apps, and share them across the LAN.

I've resorted to bringing my CDs to work, ripping them on my MBP 2010, putting them in a zip file and uploading them to my Google drive account. Then, I download them onto my Mac Mini 2010 and import them into my Mac Music/iTunes. For a company that prides itself on 'it just works', this is a massive kludge. I'll add that I don't have this issue at all with any of my Windows computers (with the same DVD-ROM drive, and same Audio CD).

I have a feeling that this is because Apple dropped support for some flavors of Joliet, or Orange Book CDs, or whatever. I can't figure out any rational reason why Apple would hamstring their own computers and customers like this, but clearly they did. I also have a hard time believing that nobody else on the planet seems to have this same issue. I've been Googling this for a couple years now, and I get nothing but 'maybe your CD drive is bad', or 'maybe the disc is scratched' super basic kinda suggestions. No, same audio CD, same external drive, the only difference is the OS.

Does anybody make extensions to Mojave to give it the ability to mount a simple audio CD?

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 10:14 AM

13 replies

Apr 25, 2024 4:14 PM in response to etisnado

Here's a screenshot of the 'Get Info' from DU from the audio CD running in the external Pioneer DVD drive. 'Get Info' doesn't give me that much more information than 'Audio CD'. I was hoping it

would give me the exact format, like 'Joliet' or 'Orange Book' or versions or

something. ... Something that might narrow this issue down.

Again, this is on the MBP 2010 that works. I can't get anything from the other Macs because it won't even recognize the CD.

Apr 25, 2024 3:55 PM in response to MartinR

I have a Pioneer DVR-XD10 (from 2011) and a Shiyi DVD-RAM/BluRay USB 3.0 (from 2019). Both with a USB cable directly into the Mac(s) USB port (On my MBP M2 I use a simple USB-C to USB-A adapter, and both have the same behavior. Oh, and the MBP M2 is plugged in with a power supply. I hear the CD spin up normally, and then the Mac splashes a warning that 'disc cannot be read' right away.

Both drives work fine with my MBP2010 running High Sierra to read the exact same audio CDs. Some of my Audio CDs work fine with this rig, but many do not (and the discs are in perfect scratch-free condition, so that's not it either).

I really don't think this is a hardware issue. The same exact hardware and audio CDs work fine with my 2010 MBP and my work Lenovo Windows 11 laptop.

May 1, 2024 8:53 PM in response to BDAqua

Heh... this is how extreme.

I got a new CD, and I had to rip it on my iMac G4 'Lamp' (I only keep this thing around because I need to run Roland synthesizer editing software for 20 year old synths, and it only runs on PPC Macs), and copy the ACC files across wifi to my Mac Mini with my music collection.

I had to find an update to Quicktime for PPC, 7.5.5. That alone was a moderate PITA. :D Now add to that Mac file sharing from 20 years ago to a current OS. Ugh.

I hope someday Apple reads this and feels a bit of embarrassment. This sort of thing should fall under the 'it just works' Apple philosophy.

Why can't Mojave read half my audio CD collection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.