Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

The wifi on my old Ipad 4 won't connect but hotspot from my iPhone does work

I recently came across my old iPad 4 and after a reset I am able to use it, however I can't seem to connect to my wifi. I have also reset all my network settings but still the iPad 4 will not connect to my main wifi network, only my iPhone's hotspot. Can anyone suggest a tried and tested course of action beyond the resetting of my iPad network setting in general/reset/reset network settings.

iPad (4th generation)

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 10:27 AM

2 replies

Apr 25, 2024 3:58 PM in response to Kylakan

Start with basic WiFi troubleshooting - as detailed here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Consider that your Router, to which you are attempting to connect, may be configured to require support for security features that are not supported by older versions of iOS. If you have an older iPad and your router is configured for WPA3 or WPA3/WPA2 mixed authentication, you will need to change this to WPA2 PSK(AES). Newer models of iPad support WPA3.

Some Mesh WiFi Routers are known to be troublesome in some circumstances.

Apr 25, 2024 11:22 AM in response to Kylakan

How is your Wi-Fi network set up?

The iPad 4 supports Wi-Fi over 802.11a/b/g/n at 2.4 and 5ghz But won't support Wi-Fi 5, 6 or 6e over 802.11ac or ax at 5Ghz at all so will not connect to a Wi-Fi network set up like that.

Also what security type do you have set for the router? WPA2? WPA3? Transitional? The iPad is limited to WPA2 or WPA2/ WPA3 transitional. It can't connect to full WPA3.

Check your router configuration. It may be using a specification not supported by the old iPad anymore while the iPhone's hotspot is still supported fine.

The wifi on my old Ipad 4 won't connect but hotspot from my iPhone does work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.