Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Why are my iPads forgetting a known Wi-Fi network?

I use an iPad locked down to Guided Access mode while running a visitor management kiosk check-in station. I add a hidden Wi-Fi network (WPA2/WPA3) before locking it down to Guided Access mode with the visitor management app running. It sits at the front desk, always plugged into power and on. There are multiple access points around it so there are no network accessibility or strength concerns. After a few weeks, sometimes more, sometimes less, I get a call that the application isn't working. When I troubleshoot, I see it does not have an internet connection so I get out of Guided Access and navigate to network settings. It's then that I discover the iPad has no Known Networks for Wi-Fi. I add it back, reenable Guided Access and wait until the next time the front desk employee reports an issue with it again.

I was starting to think it was the iPad itself, but someone broke the screen for the first one I had running and I replaced with the same model (iPad Air 3rd gen.) and same iOS (currently 17.4.1, both were updating automatically whenever an update was available) and the issue happened again, but on the second iPad!?!? Only 2 people know the Guided Access mode password and both of us are becoming very frustrated as to why we keep needing to go back every few weeks or so to re-add the network over the last 6-8 months. Has anyone had this happen and/or know what is going on?

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 1:33 PM

10 replies

Apr 26, 2024 6:28 PM in response to JoeNathan14

Yes, and the problem is that an Apple ID should NEVER be shared between different individuals, only between devices used by one person.

Apple IDs are personal; they shouldn’t be shared any more than you would share a toothbrush. If you share an Apple ID with someone else many bad things will happen. Each user should have their own Apple ID, then you can create Family Sharing→What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support. That way you can share what you want to share and not share what you don’t want to share.

It is OK to share an Apple ID among devices used by one person, such as an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac; in fact, it is a very useful thing to do. But not between devices used by different people.

Here is Apple’s FAQ: https://appleid.apple.com/faq/#!&page=faq. See the 4th bullet item.

And here is Apple's expansion of what I've posted→Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support

Apr 29, 2024 11:35 AM in response to JoeNathan14

It doesn’t matter who “owns” it or knows the password. Different individuals should never share an Apple ID. For one thing, everyone can see everyone else’s text messages, photos, contacts, reminders, notes, etc., and change everyone else’s settings. And anyone can lock out the Apple ID for everyone else.

As Apple makes very clear→Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support

Apr 26, 2024 11:26 PM in response to JoeNathan14

JoeNathan14 wrote:

Are you saying if someone on my team clicks "forget" for the same network on one device that our Apple ID is signed into, then any others in our pool of devices that our Apple ID is signed into, they too will automatically forget that network if it is one of their known networks?

• Yes, this is what is supposed to happen. This happens all the time with all of my devices, if I forget a WiFi network with one of my devices, all of my devices forget that network. It doesn't always happen immediately but it does happen.

Does this happen right away or take time?

• It sometimes happens right away and sometimes takes time. It all depends on how fast that device is responding to the cloud or accessing the cloud.

Why in the world would that be a "feature"? I can see having the option being reasonable, but automatically doing that to all my devices?

• The idea behind a lot of choices that are made as to why to do things by Apple is to make it easier on people and convenient for most situations.

Does it also work the opposite way where if I add a network to one device, all my others get it? I don't think I've seen either of these happen.

• It does, but here is the kicker. In order for this to work, it has to be connected to the network. In other words, if it gets kicked from the network because it has forgotten the WiFi because it was forgotten on another device, then in order for it to get the information to get the network back is for it to be connected to the cloud. So if it forgets the network, it will disconnect, and now that it's not connected, it has no way to connect again to get the information about the network to be able to add it again. If it were to connect to another WiFi network, then it would remember that information again and when back by that network it would connect.

Apr 26, 2024 4:17 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Are you saying if someone on my team clicks "forget" for the same network on one device that our Apple ID is signed into, then any others in our pool of devices that our Apple ID is signed into, they too will automatically forget that network if it is one of their known networks? Does this happen right away or take time? Why in the world would that be a "feature"? I can see having the option being reasonable, but automatically doing that to all my devices? Does it also work the opposite way where if I add a network to one device, all my others get it? I don't think I've seen either of these happen.

If this were the case, then the iPad I use at my desk would also continue dropping this particular hidden network and it doesn't so I feel like that isn't the cause. In fact, I just did a test with two different iPads (one being the one experiencing the original described issue), both signed into the same Apple ID, both on the same hidden network. I forgot it on the iPad I use at my desk and watched the iPad at the front desk for a few minutes... no change. I powered the iPad off and back on and it picked up the WiFi as needed.

Apr 29, 2024 11:35 AM in response to ZintainUSA

I think it's reasonable to make it an option, but to make this automatic because a company feels it would be "convenient" and "easier" for me is why I have such a problem with Apple in general. The fact that you can't even rely on the timeliness of it undermines the "convenience" right off the bat anyway. This has obviously turned into a very inconvenient situation and doing everything but make it easier. Based on how the pool of devices for this particular Apple ID have been behaving other than this particular situation, I still have my doubts this "feature" even works consistently, both for removing and adding.

Overall, it sounds like the Apple ID needs to be removed from the device that should not lose the Wi-Fi connection so that it can be "conveniently" forgotten on other devices without any fallout. I'm going to test this theory after posting this reply.

If there are any other thoughts besides this ridiculous "Apple knows what's best for me and gets to decide" attitude and approach then it would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 29, 2024 11:53 AM in response to JoeNathan14

You still don’t get it. Apple’s entire user interface design assumes 1 Apple ID 1 person. It has been this way for 10 years. If you violate this basic principle MANY things will go wrong; for one thing, privacy is totally out the window. The fact that Wi-Fi addresses propagate is the least of your worries. For example, one disgruntled employee can bring down your business.

Apr 29, 2024 2:19 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I'm sorry Lawrence, but respectfully, I don't think you get it. And that's okay. Fortunately, this isn't something you need to worry so much about. I completely understand what you are saying and apologize if I hit a nerve. I think the main reply/help I was looking for was "This is a "feature" and to avoid it, don't have the Apple ID logged into the iPad so that when it is forgotten on another iPad with the same Apple ID it will lose that known network." I am very jealous of the time you have to quickly reply to the numerous question posed in these forums. In the end, I thank you.

Why are my iPads forgetting a known Wi-Fi network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.