Can I slow down a backing track used to practice with in garageband?

Garage band allows slowing of some types of tracks like one's I record directly. A class I am taking provides backing tracks. I have some in Apple Music. I can easily drag them into GB but cannot slow them down. I think I have slowed tunes from external sources before but can't reproduce what I did. My set up has a 2 channel USB audio interface. I am running Sonoma 14.4.1 on my iMac 2019 21.5 inch and GB is 10.4.11.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 12:55 PM

To be able to slow down a track with an audio file, you have to turn the audio file into a loop.

Trim the region of the audio file, so it is aligned with bars of the measures. The length needs to be a full number of measures. Select the region, then us e the command "File > Save to Loop Library" and save the region as a loop, not as a One-Shot loop. Only a loop can follow the tempo and pitch of the project.

Then you can add the song as a loop to a new project and change the tempo by changing the tempo of the project or modifying the tempo using the tempo track.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2024 12:55 PM in response to Karl38

To be able to slow down a track with an audio file, you have to turn the audio file into a loop.

Trim the region of the audio file, so it is aligned with bars of the measures. The length needs to be a full number of measures. Select the region, then us e the command "File > Save to Loop Library" and save the region as a loop, not as a One-Shot loop. Only a loop can follow the tempo and pitch of the project.

Then you can add the song as a loop to a new project and change the tempo by changing the tempo of the project or modifying the tempo using the tempo track.

Can I slow down a backing track used to practice with in garageband?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.