Related Article: Apple Music Classical

How do I import my CD collection to Apple Classical? And if I can’t, then why is Apple Classical useful outside of that?

The webpage for Apple Classical says I can bring in my entire Apple Music collection to Apple Classical. I spent a lot of time (and I mean A LOT of time) importing all my classical CDs to my Apple Music. But they don’t seem to be available to Apple Classical. What am I doing wrong?

If this is not possible, and since I can’t shuffle classical pieces (no, not shuffling tracks … shuffling complete works in an extensive playlist) why would I keep Apple Classical for $11 a month? I don’t really like their selection of recordings that are available as part of the subscription (most of them are far from the best available) so that’s not a draw for me.

But if I could have an app that:

• understood classical music and could support the meta data for composer, work, catalog number, conductor, ensemble, second ensemble for choral pieces, etc
  • could break out the different works on a CD not by track but by work. For example, if I had a CD with a Bach toccata and fugue, followed by a 3-movement concerto, then another three-movement concerto, it would be three works. (7 tracks - three works)
  • Allow me to create a playlist of works, not tracks.
  • Allow me to shuffle the works in a playlist
  • makes the liner notes available as part of the meta data. This includes program notes, information about the artists performing in the recording, librettos, etc.

Now THAT would be something! If not, then Apple Classical is not for me I’m afraid.

But my basic question is still whether I can bring in my CDs to Apple Classical.

Thanks,

Amy Smith

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 3:54 PM

2 replies

Apr 25, 2024 11:46 PM in response to Acsisaltoflyer

Hi,

I think you you need to put a lot more effort into getting classical music metadata into a format that works for you.

If you have the music that you want/ like on CD, an Apple Music or Apple classical subscription is not necessary. You can use the the music app to manage your CD collection.

When you import your CDs, you can specify the the quality - ALAC for example- and join specific tracks together. You could use “grouping” to keep works together when shuffling. If the music has already been imported, You could use a Doug’s script called “join together”.

A lot of time and effort is required. Other users may have different thoughts.

Jim

How do I import my CD collection to Apple Classical? And if I can’t, then why is Apple Classical useful outside of that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.