Apple TV+app does not connect with smart TV

I am working with Apple MacMini M2 with the latest s/w connected to 5 GHz WiFi network which also serves my smart LG TV.

I recently subscribed to Apple TV+ app. M2 machine provides proper display and control over Apple TV+ app with display on its monitor. However, the Mac does not recognize the LG TV, i.e. Screen Mirroring does not recognize the TV. Devices shows my iPhone but it does not show the TV. The LG TV (when Apple TV+ is selected) displays screen with Apple TV+ sign centred and a sign-in-login bar below and 3 vertical movie samples. But no amount of clicking on the signin-login does anything. When going BACK, the display shows two frozen selections "EXIT" and "CANCEL". The LG was checked by an LG tech to be fine. All devices were rebooted, including the Giga Hub router and there was no change to the status quo. LG works fine with other services over the WiFi (not controlled by the Mac). The physical distance between the Mac and the TV is about 40 ft and one partition. In sum, this has been bloody frustrating. Any insight that can be offered, will be most welcome.

I guess the conclusion is that if nothing changes, I have no use for Apple TV app.

Mac mini, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 4:34 PM

5 replies

Apr 26, 2024 8:06 AM in response to julCanada

What is the model LG TV? Is it listed as supporting AirPlay 2 receiving?

List of AirPlay 2-enabled smart TVs and third party streaming devices - Apple

Without using AirPlay, if you want to have the LG TV as monitor for your Mac, then connect through HDMI. That has no special requirements.

Or use the Apple TV app or Apple TV+ app on the smart TV itself. Then you can watch Apple TV+ content (and/​or iTunes Store content), without relying on the Mac.

Apr 26, 2024 12:02 PM in response to Urquhart1244

First: many thanks for trying to help; unfortunately your suggestions do NOT resolve the issue.

The LG TV is an ONET TV dated 2016 which is not listed on the provided AirPlay 2 list of TV's .

The HDMI suggestion would be OK if I did not have to spread a cable 40 ft and go through a partition.

As my note indicates, I have been trying to use Apple TV+ on the TV but it does not allow me to enter

the log-in information.

So: one again, many thanks but for now that is not a solution for my problem. Regards

Apple TV+app does not connect with smart TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.