Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to stop sharing data between two iPhone with same Apple ID?

We have two phones on one apple id’s and don’t want messages, voicemail, and calls showing on both phones. For example, Dr leaves my wife a voicemail and the message is on my phone too.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 7:18 PM

3 replies

Apr 25, 2024 8:38 PM in response to Traderal

Traderal wrote:

So there is no way not to share calls, texts, and messages without separate IDs? Once we delete one account everything from decades disappears for one of us? I feel like voice messages just began showing up on my phone of hers. Is that possible?

As Apple has recommended for years to prepare users, each family member needs to have their own Apple ID.

Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support

With each iOS update there has been further integration for devices with the same Apple ID and iOS 17 added voicemails and call logs. When using 2 devices with the same Apple ID, it is intended to be the same user so they can start doing something on one device and continue on another just like they were using the original device. Now you can check your call logs and voicemails on any of your devices using the same Apple ID.

When you do add another Apple ID on one of your devices, you have the option to use Family Sharing to share subscriptions and purchases still if that is what you want to do.

As for removing everything on one of your device, that is true, but you would be able to AirDrop Photos, Contacts, Notes, or other data from the other device after setting up the phone.

How to stop sharing data between two iPhone with same Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.