Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Printer sharing doesn't work with Sonoma on new imac

I have a Brother printer attached to my new iMac with Sonoma. I downloaded to it the appropriate printer driver and local printing works. However, we have another computer which used to be able to print to this same printer while I was using the old mac with Mojave. Now the other computer can no longer print. I enabled sharing as sown on the attachment. All I spend my time with is trying to figure out how to make things work with Sonoma.... Is there anything else I should try to make things work as prior to the new computer with Sonoma? Thanks

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 10:17 PM

33 replies

Apr 28, 2024 4:12 PM in response to Suzy2014

>Sorry, where is the option for Sort By?

On the top right hand side, just below your original question.

>printer settings show what's in the attachment....

You should not have to choose sharing the printer on the network (this is for a locally connected printer). A printer wirelessly connected to the Wi-Fi router (or by Ethernet) would be shared anyway.

Please double-check that the printer is correctly connected (wirelessly) to the Wi-Fi router.

BTW, I assume that you have the HL-L2370DW printer (not an HL-L2370DN).

If this has not been done, you could connect the printer via WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) if supported by the router (page 57 or 58 in the user's guide), or through the control panel of the printer (page 61-62 in the user's guide):

https://download.brother.com/welcome/doc100810/cv_hll2310d_use_oug_d.pdf

Special setup software should not be needed/used.

(Re-)add the printer using the instructions in

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Apr 26, 2024 6:10 AM in response to hcsitas

The XL is in parentheses. The page is for both.

Both models are listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support:

• Brother HL-L2370DW
  • Brother HL-L2370DWXL

https://www.brother-usa.com/-/media/brother/product-catalog-media/documents/2023/05/16/14/20/hl-l2370dw_2pgbrochure_fin_es.pdf

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/hll2370dw

Do you mean to say that the HL-L2370DW does not work with AirPrint? If so, where did you find that information?

Normally, one would expect the About AirPrint list to be correct, as well as the printer manufacturer's documentation.

A printer listed as an AirPrint model may or may not be discontinued. Even a discontinued printer should work with AirPrint as long as the printer firmware is compatible (or can be updated to be so).

Why would the OP have to replace a printer that is working (with or without AirPrint)?

Apr 26, 2024 7:53 AM in response to hcsitas

There are 3 computers: a new imac, an old imac and a Windows PC. Everything worked with no issues prior to Sonoma: the Brother printer connected to the old imac and the Windows PC with sharing. Printing still works with the printer connected to the new iMac. There is no Airprint for the Windows PC and setting up sharing on the new imac doesn't do anything (unlike on the old imac with Mojave, where I had no problems). Hopefully this clarified the confusion.

Apr 26, 2024 4:25 PM in response to BDAqua

Sorry, BDAqua, I don't understand the question. Which "both machines" are you questioning?

I am not using the old imac, if that's what you are referring to as one the two machines... It is turned off. What's the concern?

What no longer works since the new iMac with Sonoma is printing from a wirelessly connected Windows11 PC (which worked from the old iMac with Mojave). Way too many things no longer work since I spent the $2,000.... All I got for the money is issues.....

Any suggestions for debugging?

Apr 26, 2024 5:34 PM in response to Suzy2014

Hello Suzy2014,

Thank you for the information.

Is the printer within distance to connect wirelessly to your Wi-Fi router, or can a wired (Ethernet) printer connection to one of the LAN ports be used?

As I am sure that you know, there is a distinction between AirPrint and general wireless printing. AirPrint is an Apple technology involving Bonjour/mDNS, allowing printing without additional drivers/software. This technology can be used wirelessly (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet).

As you also mentioned, a Windows computer does not use AirPrint, but it can be used for wireless printing with the appropriate drivers. Is it possible to connect your Windows 11 computer wirelessly to the Wi-Fi router, or is it too far away? If yes, there are Windows 11 printer drivers from Brother, which may be useful if the HL-L2370DW printer can be connected to that same router. That could perhaps solve the PC printing problem without the need for sharing via the new iMac.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2370dw_us&os=10068

Can the Wi-Fi router be wirelessly reached by the new iMac (and the old macOS 10.14 Mojave Mac)?

The new iMac should be able to use AirPrint (without a driver) when wirelessly connected to the Wi-Fi router (or wired to one of the LAN ports). If AirPrint does not work for some reason, you could try the Brother iPrint&Scan Mac app (albeit with limitations). Normal printer drivers are not available for this printer for macOS 14 Sonoma (the latest macOS version with Brother drivers was 10.15 Catalina; these drivers may or may not work with a few newer macOS versions).

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2370dw_us&os=10080

If you so wish, the old macOS 10.14 Mojave Mac should also be able to use AirPrint when connected to the router. Alternatively, if not, macOS 10.14 Mojave printer drivers are available from Brother.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2370dw_us&os=10052

Apr 28, 2024 1:20 PM in response to Suzy2014

If something regarding printer sharing handling is different in macOS 14 Sonoma compared to macOS 10.14 Mojave, it may be wise to try the latest printer firmware update from Brother to begin with.

I guess that you have tried to connect the printer directly to the new iMac instead of via the USB hub.

If a software or hardware compatibility problem persists, you may have to use some kind of (temporary) workaround.

You could try to print directly from the Windows PC, without using printer sharing. This would require that the printer can be wirelessly connected to the router (infrastructure mode), since a wired (Ethernet) connection has been ruled out (probably because of the printer location). This would also require the use of Windows 11 drivers from Brother on the PC (see my earlier reply).

If the printer is wirelessly connected to the router, it should be possible to print via Wi-Fi from the new iMac as well (if AirPrint is not used, printer drivers or Brother iPrint&Scan will be needed).

With a wirelessly connected printer, USB should be disconnected.

If nothing else helps, you could possibly even use the old macOS 10.14 Mojave Mac (where printer sharing works) as a print server.

Anyway, I see no reason to replace the printer at this time.

Apr 26, 2024 3:01 AM in response to Suzy2014

Hi,

The Brother HL-L2370DW is a supported AirPrint model:

About AirPrint - Apple Support

This means that it can be used without additional drivers, provided that the printer and the Mac computers are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router).

AirPrint works with wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections.

Since the HL-L2370DW has Ethernet in addition to Wi-Fi, you could choose to connect it wirelessly to the router, or to use an Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports.

The Macs could connect wirelessly to the router, or by Ethernet cable.

The AirPrint technology should work with the old Mac running macOS 10.14 Mojave as well.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

https://support.brother.com/g/b/producttop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2370dw_us

Apr 26, 2024 3:35 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Addendum

>However, we have another computer which used to be able to print to this same printer while I was using the old mac with Mojave. Now the other computer can no longer print.

I realise now that you (may) have a third computer. Any information about the exact model and its operating system version? Is the old macOS 10.14 Mojave Mac still in use?

Share your printer on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Apr 28, 2024 2:44 PM in response to Suzy2014

Since you mentioned that the printer and the new iMac are on the same network, I assume that the printer has been wirelessly connected to the Wi-Fi router.

For information about how to add a network printer under macOS 14 Sonoma, you may want to have a look at the following article:

If you have access to an iPhone or iPad, you could also carry out printing tests that way.

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Apr 26, 2024 10:03 AM in response to hcsitas

Hcsitas, while I know that you are trying to help (like with the prior issue where you insisted that the new imac had a hardware problem), as an FYI, I just had a Chat with Brother and this printer is supported with Sonoma and they have a driver for it. See attachment. The problem is either with Sonoma or the new driver for the printer and as usually the customer gets no help but fingerpointing. If printing worked before Sonoma from the imac AND from the Windows PC, that means that wireless should be OK, but for whatever reason, sharing doesn't happen anymore.

Apr 26, 2024 7:09 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks, Jan for taking the time for your very thorough answers.

The printer is connected to a USB port on a hub plugged into the new imac's USB port. Printing from the new imac works. Hub was needed as the newest imac came with only 2 USB ports.

Printing from the Windows 11 PC worked from the old imac, with the Brother printer plugged in directly into one of its many the USB ports. I no longer use the old imac for printing.

The Windows 11 PC is hard wired to the router. The PC and the iMac are on the same network and with sharing enabled on the old imac, the printer was displayed on the PC. While I did enable sharing on the new computer (as the attached capture in my initial post shows), I can no longer print from the PC.

I cannot wire the printer to the router.

My new imac uses the wi-fi router wirelessly for the internet without any problem (as the old imac also used it).

I am attaching a capture of what the Windows PC shows.

I would like have printing also working on the Windows PC, as it worked from the old imac. If you can help making that happen, it would be much appreciated.

Apr 28, 2024 3:30 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Sorry, where is the option for Sort By? Without it one cannot make sense of what's posted.

Since based on my test, printing no longer works from the new iMac after I disconnected the printer from the USB port, I assume that this means that Airprint doesn't work, and that wireless printing doesn't work either, despite the fact that printer settings show what's in the attachment....

Printer sharing doesn't work with Sonoma on new imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.