Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Best camera settings for importing footage into iMovie?

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a project in iMovie and want to ensure I'm using the best camera settings for optimal quality when importing my footage. I recently purchased a new camera from Campkins Cameras, and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on the ideal settings to use with iMovie.

Specifically, I'm looking for guidance on:

• Video resolution and frame rate
  • Audio settings
  • File format (e.g., MP4, MOV)
  • Any other settings that can help me achieve the best results in iMovie

Thanks in advance for your help!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 4:14 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

May 1, 2024 9:27 AM in response to RH_Photography

The camera settings would depend on what use that you intend to make of the movie, and whether you have a lot of fast motion in your clip.

Assuming that you want to burn a good quality movie: Import with format H.264, Mp4/AAC, clips with 1080p resolution at 30 fps or 60 fps, or with 4K resolution at 30 fps (iMovie doesn't do 4K 60fps). A frame rate of 30 fps is fine for most purposes. If your video has a lot of fast motion in it, or you intend to use slo mo, then 60 fps would be more suitable.

For audio, iMovie does the lossless settings of aiff and WAV, or the lossy settings of Mp3 and AAC. It accepts and outputs 48000Hz.

When exporting, I would use the "Good" quality resolution setting. The "Best Quality (pro res) setting produces a 4x size file with no noticeable difference in quality for consumer use purposes. "Best Quality" is mainly for professional quality that might require intricate editing.

The above is my opinion. Others may chime in with other suggestions.

-- Rich

May 1, 2024 11:39 AM in response to RH_Photography

What camera?

As Rich said, not all cameras support all formats.

What you *don't* want to do is save things in formats like (for Canon) Clog3 which *require* colorgrading and look up tables to get useful video. iMovie doesn't play that.

And if this is really that important to you, you might want to step up to FinalCutPro. iMovie is a free consumer app. It has good results, but it is not professional.

Best camera settings for importing footage into iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.