Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Discrepancy between iwatch daily fitness time/calories and exercise time/calories

First, let's get through the basics. Both my iWatch and my iPhone 15 Pro max are up-to-date. iWatch is version 10.4 and it's Model A2771. iPhone 15 Pro Max is on version 17.5. Both have been restarted, and yes I am wearing my iWatch correctly. So don't give me any of those, "Just copy and paste the usual did you do the basics," stuff 'cause YES I did.

Let's continue. As you can see in the photo, the exercise I record using my iWatch records the exercise accurately. But the daily portion of the fitness app has it incorrectly. See image, but here's the information below:

Individual Exercises (using iWatch's native exercise app)

Elliptical - 30:41 minutes - 333 Total Calories

Indoor Cycle - 30:42 minutes - 200 Total Calories

Total Calories - 533

Total Time - 61 minutes and 23 seconds

Daily Fitness App - Total Exercise after these two exercises (which were back-to-back in the same hour from 6:30am to around 7:30am), is 47 minutes. Total Calories is 445.

There is clearly a discrepancy between the exercise and how the daily total is now adding it up. I've seen similar over the years so it looks like a problem your tech team is ignoring or not fully understanding. Hopefully I've made this clear enough. These forums have a tendency to have customer service people believe the user is wrong first, so I want to clearly show all of this to NOT be an issue on my end. It's clearly a software issue either on the iWatch or iPhone if the individual exercise is correct, but the total calculation for the day, which is the same app, is incorrect.

Apple Watch Series 8, watchOS 10

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 6:01 AM

2 replies

Apr 27, 2024 5:32 AM in response to JoshuaCanada

Suggestions and Feedback for improvements --> Apple Inc says; "We read all feedback carefully, but we are unable to respond to each submission individually."

1. Here is how for iPhone · Country or region* Select your country or region. · Feedback Type* Select feedback type. · Comments* Enter a comment.
  2. Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Apr 27, 2024 5:34 AM in response to JoshuaCanada

Fitness trackers often rely on algorithms and motion sensors, which can be less precise than simple addition.

There can be several reasons for this:

• Sensor limitations: Accelerometers and gyroscopes, commonly used in fitness trackers, may not perfectly capture all your movements.
  • Activity recognition: The app might need to interpret your movement data to distinguish between walking, running, swimming, etc. This interpretation can introduce some error.
  • Energy expenditure estimation: The app estimates calorie burn based on factors like heart rate, weight, and activity intensity. These estimations can vary depending on individual fitness levels.

Even though the app doesn't display a simple sum of the times and calories, it likely uses those values as a starting point for its calculations. The final numbers (61 min 23 sec, 533 Cal) might be a more accurate representation of your total activity based on the additional sensor data and algorithms.

Here's what you can do:

• Compare trends, not exact numbers: Track your overall progress over time rather than focusing on individual workouts.
  • Consider using a heart rate monitor: Heart rate data can improve calorie burn estimates.

Remember, the most important thing is to be active and consistent.

Resting Energy

This is an estimate of the energy your body uses each day while minimally active. Additional physical activity requires more energy over and above Resting Energy (see Active Energy).

Active Energy

This is an estimate of energy burned over and above your Resting Energy use (Resting Energy). Active Energy includes activities such as strolling, pushing your wheelchair, and household chores, as well as exercises such as cycling and dancing. Your total energy use is the sum of your Resting Energy and Active Energy. 

Here's why your "Active Energy" might be lower than "Move":

1. Workout Tracking: If your Apple Watch wasn't actively recording your workout (due to being locked or not recognizing the activity type), the "Move" wouldn't reflect those calories. However, the imported data from Strava might still show up in the "Workouts" section.
  2. Active Energy vs. Total Calories: "Active Energy" doesn't directly translate to total calories burned, as it includes BMR. So, even though you burned calories during the workout, the "Active Energy" might not reflect the full amount if it's already accounted for in your BMR.

Discrepancy between iwatch daily fitness time/calories and exercise time/calories

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.