Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Battery health has declined 4% in 4 weeks on my iPhone 12

is it normal for an iPhone 12 (regular) Before that, it was just at 97% but things took a turn after 4 weeks and now its at 93%. Or is it just that im handling my phone the wrong way.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 9:27 AM

It is normal for the battery health to drop 1% per month on average over a couple of years. This is just an average and you may see that drop 4% in one month and nothing in another.

All you can do is make sure you are using Optimized Charging in Settings and charge your phone every night. The phone will learn when you normally take it off the charger and will only charge it to 80% until just before you need it when it will charge to the full 100%. This does take a regular schedule to work correctly, but is the best way to get the most out of your battery while still having a full charge for the day.

You can expect to replace the battery after the health drops below 80%. The cost for Apple to replace it is only $89(US) and not worth the anxiety or changing the way you use the device just to get a couple more months out of it. Some user will attempt to manage every aspect of their usage by shutting off Bluetooth, Wifi, or Cellular Data when not used or monitor the charge on the battery and stop when it reaches 80%, but in my opinion, it is not worth the effort.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2024 9:27 AM in response to ghiandude

It is normal for the battery health to drop 1% per month on average over a couple of years. This is just an average and you may see that drop 4% in one month and nothing in another.

All you can do is make sure you are using Optimized Charging in Settings and charge your phone every night. The phone will learn when you normally take it off the charger and will only charge it to 80% until just before you need it when it will charge to the full 100%. This does take a regular schedule to work correctly, but is the best way to get the most out of your battery while still having a full charge for the day.

You can expect to replace the battery after the health drops below 80%. The cost for Apple to replace it is only $89(US) and not worth the anxiety or changing the way you use the device just to get a couple more months out of it. Some user will attempt to manage every aspect of their usage by shutting off Bluetooth, Wifi, or Cellular Data when not used or monitor the charge on the battery and stop when it reaches 80%, but in my opinion, it is not worth the effort.

Apr 26, 2024 12:33 PM in response to ghiandude

How old is your iPhone 12?

Over longer periods of time, it is normal for Battery Health to decline an average of about 1% a month. That is an average, though. Some months it might not decline at all and other months it might decline 3-4%.

If your iPhone 12 is about a year old (12 months), it would be normal for the Battery Health to be in the 87-89% range.

If your iPhone 12 is a year old and the Battery Health is at 93%.......your battery is doing great. You might want to send flowers to Apple for your very good luck.

Battery health has declined 4% in 4 weeks on my iPhone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.