Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

WIFI card not working properly on Macbook Pro (1707)?

Hi folks,

I've been having an issue with my Macbook Pro 1707 (2017) I hope you can help me with...

I have 2 wifi networks in our old house: a mesh system, and also a single upgraded router. We've "cut the cord" on cable tv and now just stream YouTube TV. I've kept the mesh system going as a back up for when we have some occasional "dead" spots on my laptop, primarily. Phone and tablet seem to do much better with connectivity.

Anyway, lately, people who FaceTime with me on my laptop have been saying that the video freezes when they initiate the call. If I switch to my phone, the video is fine. OR, if I FaceTime them back, the connection works fine.

Last night, I brought my MB to my son's house and had him "call" me. Same issue. On HIS network, video froze when he initiated.

I'm thinking this is a wifi card issue? Unfortunately, with this model the wifi is soldered into the board, so it's not replaceable. Am I correct in my assumption, or could it be something else at work here? Any work-arounds?

Thanks in advance...

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 8:19 AM

5 replies

Apr 26, 2024 9:35 AM in response to pawprint1125

You have presented no evidence that this is iIn any way related to WiFi.

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, overheating and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners, or a VPN that you installed yourself. The main reason is that they are relentless in scanning your files, non-stop, looking for virus-like patterns in Everything, or looking for files that have changed. When completed, they do it all again.

¿anything like that installed?

Apr 26, 2024 7:23 PM in response to pawprint1125

Consider downloading and running this little "discovery" utility, Etrecheck. It changes NOTHING. Etrecheck was developed by senior contributor here, and uses system calls to collect often-needed information.

it contains little tests for speeds of devices, CPU utilization, memory usage, energy usage and a digest of recent problems, in one easy to use package. it does not even need to be Installed. Because less can be learned when your Mac is running great, best time to run is when your problems are actually occurring, if possible.

if you follow the directions faithfully, its report (pre-laundered of all personally-identifiable information) can be "Shared" to the system ClipBoard, then Pasted into an ‘Additional Text’ window in a reply on the forums.

How to use Etrecheck pro for free

http://etrecheck.com

Apr 26, 2024 1:10 PM in response to pawprint1125

If you use a VPN to be "present" on an Institution's Netork, that is an excellent use of that software. You institution should support and maintain that VPN with you.

Most casually-installed VPN software is scare-ware. Contrary to what the vendors say, it does NOT improve security and can cripple performance.

I recommend you completely un-install that VPN and run your experiments again.

WIFI card not working properly on Macbook Pro (1707)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.