Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Unable to access iTunes after updating my MacBook OS to Catalina (10.15.7)

Hi,

I updated my MacBook OS to Catalina (10.15.7) which then forced me to update iTunes to 1.0.6.10. However once updated, iTunes wouldn’t load - just kept getting stuck with the message “checking library” for an hour+.

i followed the advice in this page

“Hold down the option/alt key while starting iTunes and create a new test library somewhere. If this is successful then it is likely your library file itself is corrupt. I can be rebuilt but is best restored from a backup.”

Doing this at least allowed iTunes to open, but now my library is empty - no music, no playlists. Is there a fix for this? I guess I could just reupload all the music from my computer, but there are dozens of playlists that would be lost. Is there a way around this? Either opening up an older version of the iTunes library? Or being able to take the music and playlists already on my iPod to reverse upload them to my computer/itunes

Thanks for the help

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 8:58 AM

10 replies

Apr 29, 2024 4:45 PM in response to ibwusvnw

As noted iTunes has been replaced in macOS Catalina by the new Music app. When you first upgrade, Music should detect your iTunes .itl library and convert it automatically to the new .musiclibrary format automatically. If that didn't happen properly you can try again. Hold down option as you launch Music, click the choose library option, browse to and open your old .itl file, and choose a location to save the new database, typically Music will suggest a folder called Music 2.

See Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community for further post upgrade advice.

tt2

Apr 29, 2024 9:07 AM in response to 6x6

Thanks for the link discussing the syncing. I’ve read through it and watched some YouTube videos. Still have questions/concerns - when I am in finder with my iPod connected, and under the Music tab and click on “sync music onto My iPod” a warning pops up - “are you sure you want to remove existing music… from this iPod and sync with this library”. I think “this” library is blank. I don’t want to lose everything on my iPod (music and playlist).

additionally, some of the youtube videos mention clicking the “manually manage music” box under the general tab. I don’t know if that would be a benefit to be able to do more. I’m so used to iTunes and being able to add songs to playlists, add new music from there, uncheck songs I don’t want added to the iPod etc. Just not sure how this new Finder method works (and don’t want to lose what I have on my iPod currently)

sorry for the questions, I’m not very good with technology. Thanks for the help.

Apr 29, 2024 9:24 AM in response to ibwusvnw

Upgrading to macOS Catalina shouldn't have had this effect.

My guess is that, as you mentioned in your original question, you created a brand new library in Music. The synchronization in Music (or even iTunes) is a weird thing and if the library is different on the Mac (in your case because it's new), the Mac thinks it has to delete the library on the iPod because it's a "different device."

Your original library is still there on your Mac but, to avoid leading you astray, I'm going to call on experts to join this discussion. Expect an answer from them soon.

Unable to access iTunes after updating my MacBook OS to Catalina (10.15.7)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.