Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Dark Mode everywhere, all the time... please?

The Dark Mode on my M2 MBP is sadly lacking. Windows on the screen alternate between Dark Mode and bright at about a rate of 50% if I am lucky. Even THIS screen that I am writing on in Apple.com is blasting out at me!!! When Apple boasts about the number of pixels it means full-on white pixels.

I have tried Noir and another paid app - very poor attempts - had to get refunds.

What's going on? In the early 90s I had full Dark Mode on my AtariST computer but not on this expensive machine 30 years later? 🤢

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 11:38 AM

3 replies

Apr 26, 2024 1:18 PM in response to Sunrise250

Sunrise250 wrote:

The Dark Mode on my M2 MBP is sadly lacking. Windows on the screen alternate between Dark Mode and bright at about a rate of 50% if I am lucky. Even THIS screen that I am writing on in Apple.com is blasting out at me!!! When Apple boasts about the number of pixels it means full-on white pixels.

I have tried Noir and another paid app - very poor attempts - had to get refunds.

What's going on? In the early 90s I had full Dark Mode on my AtariST computer but not on this expensive machine 30 years later? 🤢

Not all application windows will follow darkmode... YMMV

I would reference:

Use a light or dark appearance on your Mac - Apple Support

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Apr 26, 2024 2:09 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

For example a developer may want to have the text or element in a dark purple color to represent company colors and they just won't be readable on a black/dark background, so they will force the background to be white or another color of their choosing. If they don't care what the color the text is, they can let the OS choose the color based on the Dark/Light setting of the system. Here on this page, users can upload a picture for their user icon and if the picture contained a lot of black, it would not be visible on a dark background. Knowing that the background will be white, they would know that any element of the picture that is white will appear not be visible or at least the same as the background. Changing the Dark/Light mode does not change the color of your photos or any pictures that you upload.

Dark Mode everywhere, all the time... please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.