Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I am getting phishing email, how do I drop this email address?

There have recently been a few times where someone using rather nasty text have tried to blackmail me.

I can set up a rule to filter but would prefer to drop/cancel the emailadress used. It looks like one I used maybe 10 years ago. I have not been able to find anyplace where it is shown.

But since Apple somehow redirect these nasty emails to my present, active email address, I gather there must be a way.

The email is like xxxxxx@icloud.com

hope someone can give a hint

Kind regards

P**** J****n

[Edited by Moderator]

Mac Studio, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 1:29 PM

6 replies

Apr 30, 2024 4:56 AM in response to GreyT

The ultimate way would be to totally delete that old AppleID and associated iCloud email if at all possible.

To do so you’d have to first have to regain access to that AppleID.

How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

THEN you can login to that old account and completely delete it from here:

https://privacy.apple.com/

Apr 30, 2024 4:44 AM in response to GreyT

just some extra info:

in Apple Mail, In-tray list, the visible email may also look like this:

xxxxxx@icioud.com

or

xxxxxx@lcioud.com

Maybe you never experienced somthing like this, but I will still appreciate if someone could point me to the correct place in Aple Support

I have looked but "come through"

Palle

May 4, 2024 5:45 AM in response to Chattanoogan

It seems way too big to cancel/ replace my old appleID...

Still I am baffled that when someone sends an email to that old-not-been-used-for-ages-email it still gets "redirected" to my present ID and its valid email.

What is the purpose of being able to cancel/delete an email-adress, if emails will still seep through???? I had anticipated that a sender, using a 'dead' emailadress would get some feedback like "you are tying to send to nonexistent email"...!!!

GreyT

May 4, 2024 7:11 AM in response to GreyT

Did you “change” to your new address from your old address … or did you just create a new AppleID and then start using it afresh (i.e. abandoning your old AppleID)?

If the former … I’ve observed that Apple will make your old AppleID / iCloud address an alias to the mail app of your new AppleID. (even IF your new AppleID eMail isn’t “@icloud.com.”

You can look in settings under “reachable at”

I failed to discover a way to delete that alias — although I didn’t try very hard — as in our own family’s case it DOES serve a useful purpose.

(and unfortunately, the owner of that particular AppleID is “away” w/ all of the trusted devices so I can’t “experiment further.”

In your case, you might need to contact Official Apple Support to request that the alias be removed.

May 4, 2024 9:59 AM in response to Chattanoogan

I have done this: adding the misused emailadress (since it was awailable) to my existing apple ID, the this morning I removed it again from my ID... expecting (?) it to be removed by Apple.

I'll wait to se if disappears, but just checked and I can use it as recipent email, and that email will, still, land in my inbox.

Most likely I have to check out the official Apple Support

thanks for your inputs

I am getting phishing email, how do I drop this email address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.