Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How do I sync iMovie projects with iCloud?

I edit in iMovie on both my iMac and MacBook Air, both on current op systems and Apple Chips. Also on my recent model iPad. If I start an iMovie Project on iPad, I can move it (share it) and all of the footage etc to the MacBook Air to continue working. But if I start an iMovie Project on the iMac, I cannot share it and its footage to the MacBook Air. That is what I am seeking to do. There are Community posts discussing this but none since 2019. Any help? thx

iMac 24″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 1:44 PM

4 replies

Apr 30, 2024 12:18 PM in response to Rich839

I get that, thx. My question is different. I want to share an iMovie project on my iMac with all its footage, with my MacBook Air. On the iMac in iMovie, under "Share Project" it does not offer "Export Project" which is what Apple defines as how to Share it to the MacBook Air. (Under "Share Project" the iMac only offers "Email/Social Platforms/File." And "File" will only export it as an mp.4, not as an iMovie Project). All help appreciated. Thx.

Apr 30, 2024 3:15 PM in response to petercommunities

To transfer the library from one Mac to another, Edit/Copy the library and then Edit/Paste it to an external drive that is formatted either Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS.   Then physically plug in the external drive to your destination computer. You can then Edit/Copy, Edit/Paste, the library from the external drive to your destination computer.  After confirming that the transferred library is working, you can delete the copy from the external transfer drive if you wish.  The destination Mac must be running the same version of iMovie that was used to create the movie.

— Rich

How do I sync iMovie projects with iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.