Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

After updating to Ventura, my dock disappeared on my iMac

My doc items all suddenly disappeared--i've got nothing at the bottom of my screen. Yesterday I updated my OS to Ventura and I also added Bitdefender for Mac. Everything worked fine for 1.5 days, but now suddenly my dock items are missing.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 2:46 PM

6 replies

Apr 27, 2024 3:17 AM in response to jenji35

jenji35 wrote:

My doc items all suddenly disappeared--i've got nothing at the bottom of my screen.

System Setting >> Desktop and Dock

Scroll down to " Automatically hide and show the Dock " and check if the dock is set to Auto Show or Hide

" Yesterday I updated my OS to Ventura and I also added Bitdefender for Mac. Everything worked fine for 1.5 days, but now suddenly my dock items are missing. "

What does the user expect BitDefender will do to protect the computer from ?

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that cannot be opened by the User nor by Third Party Applications.

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

Disk Cleaner , Disk Optimizers and Third Party Security Software

This will include BitDefender

Apr 26, 2024 3:46 PM in response to jenji35

First, boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Regarding Bitdefender: there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This documents describe what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community and Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is designed solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's, school's or bank's servers, they provide false security from a privacy standpoint. 

I recommend that you uninstall Bitdefender according to the developer's instructions.

Apr 28, 2024 1:24 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you! The "automatically hide and show the Dock" was activated, so deactivating fixed the problem.

Regarding Bitdefender, my employee requires a level of extra protection for all employees regardless of Mac/PC. This is what PCMag says about Bitdefender:

"It’s a rare PC that lacks an antivirus app, but not all Macs have caught up. You may not know where to look when you realize Mac antivirus is also necessary. You could always go with a name that’s familiar and well-regarded for its Windows protection. Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac doesn’t have the abundance of bonus features its Windows equivalent does. Still, unlike many macOS-focused competitors, it goes well beyond the minimum in its protective capabilities. Among other things, it comes with VPN protection, online tracker blocking, and protection against ransomware. Independent labs give it excellent marks in testing, and so do our tests. Like Norton 360 Deluxe, it earns our Editors’ Choice award for Mac antivirus."

Apr 28, 2024 1:52 PM in response to jenji35

jenji35 wrote:

Thank you! The "automatically hide and show the Dock" was activated, so deactivating fixed the problem.

Regarding Bitdefender, my employee requires a level of extra protection for all employees regardless of Mac/PC. This is what PCMag says about Bitdefender:

"It’s a rare PC that lacks an antivirus app, but not all Macs have caught up. You may not know where to look when you realize Mac antivirus is also necessary. You could always go with a name that’s familiar and well-regarded for its Windows protection. Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac doesn’t have the abundance of bonus features its Windows equivalent does. Still, unlike many macOS-focused competitors, it goes well beyond the minimum in its protective capabilities. Among other things, it comes with VPN protection, online tracker blocking, and protection against ransomware. Independent labs give it excellent marks in testing, and so do our tests. Like Norton 360 Deluxe, it earns our Editors’ Choice award for Mac antivirus."

Welcome and we are pleased the Disappearing / Reappearing dock issue was solved

As for BitDefender on a Company Computer.

The Corporate Heads of the company makes Policies and the Company IT Depart complies with their wishes.

One can only hope the IT Depart will offer assistance if / or when a computer issues happens which can be Directly Traced Back to the AntiVirus Software.

Unfortunately, many IT Departs are only thinking with their Microsoft Windows hat on and have next to no knowledge about macOS.

That is not their fault as most companies do not even know about Apple macOS let along even have those types of computers at their place of work

May 3, 2024 7:06 AM in response to PRP_53

I had an additional issue this week where I was suddenly unable to email people I email regularly. Restarting the computer fixed the issue. Then I had issues with my sound suddenly cutting out during meetings. I do not know if Bitdefender was responsible for these issues, but I opted to uninstall Bitdefender on my iMac and Macbook. My IT dept. supported this decision and we will recommend it for any other Mac user that experiences issues.

I wonder if there is any value in keeping it on my iphone 13?

After updating to Ventura, my dock disappeared on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.