Sharing & permissions settings problems Sonoma 14.4, only have one user

Very Basic Goal: to create new folders, and drag and drop folders onto my hard drive. (new 2023 iMac, M3, running Sonoma 14.4)

My computer is not now, or ever will be, networked, I am the only user and administrator.

Problem: Hit command-I the hard drive icon, where sharing & permissions is shown (see screen shot). I clicked the lock to unlock it. I tried adding a user and selecting my name, but it denied me permission. It also denied me permission to try and make changes to "wheel" (what is "wheel" anyway?) or "everyone" to try and get read & write in any category, but same result, "The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission".

Feeling insanely helpless as I've been using Macs since Forever and dragging and dropping folders or command-N to create new folders is not something I've ever had a problem doing.

Currently stuck putting all my files on the desktop which is rapidly becoming a Flustercluck.

Help!

Part Two of this Question would be, if I don't have plans to ever have anyone other than me working on this computer, is there anyway to stop the endless entry of administrator password every time I want to complete an action, or will I be changing permissions app by app?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 3:19 PM

2 replies

Apr 26, 2024 3:50 PM in response to snack_on_kelp

If that external drive is being used for your Time Machine backups, then it is protected and you can not write to it.

What you need is a second external drive that you can create new folders on, to then drag & drop into.

If that external drive is formatted windows NTFS, then you need special software to write to it.

Or you need to reformat the external drive APFS for Mac or eX-FAT for Mac and windows.

Sharing & permissions settings problems Sonoma 14.4, only have one user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.