Apple TV displays black screen when streaming.

I've had my Apple TV for about a couple months now and I've always had some trouble when streaming certain things but never anything flipping around some settings and resetting the Apple TV wouldn't fix, but now that the NBA playoffs are in full effect l've been trying to stream live TV more and every time I do no matter the app (Spectrum, ESPN, TNT, etc.) the screen ALWAYS displays black.

I can hear the audio perfectly fine but no picture.

My default Apple TV settings are set to 4K SDR and I've tried everything you could possibly think of, matching ranges, bringing it down to 1080p, switching HDMI cables (I've tried 3), switching from 4K SDR, to HDR and NOTHING works. The most I can get is a couple seconds of the game on HDR before it goes black and my Apple TV starts to glitch. I'm thinking it definitely has something to do with my TV it's an older Quasar, but still has 4K

compatibility and even if it is there has to be something I can do to be able to watch stuff? Also, this has happened to similar high quality streams when trying to watch TV shows on HBO Max or Netflix, but if I flip some settings for a bit and reset it, things work usually work. Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 4:21 PM

5 replies

Apple TV displays black screen when streaming.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.