Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Waterlogged headphone jack

My iPad headphone jack got water in it and now it’s stuck in headphone mode. AirPods still work and wired headphones do too but it’s still stuck in headphone mode without either connected. I tried putting it in rice for 24 hours but it didn’t help. I also tried cleaning the headphone jack with a q-tip afterwards but it didn’t work either. Do I need to replace the whole headphone jack or is there a way to fix it?

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 4:32 PM

2 replies

Apr 27, 2024 4:18 AM in response to little_chapstick

Never use rice to dry-out waterlogged electronics. Rice dust will get into your iPad - and when it becomes wet, will become sticky and cause even more issues, including internal mould.

If you must use a desiccant to remove moisture, use porous silica-gel pouches - placing both the pouches and the item to be dried in a sealed container.

Water and electronics do not make happy bedfellows. Your iPad is not designed to be water resistant. While it may survive being splashed with water if immediately dried, it will almost certainly suffer irreparable damage if allowed to get wet or is submerged.

You would be best advised to take your iPad along to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Waterlogged headphone jack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.