Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How can I get messages on my MacBook Pro to show 'read' rather than 'unread'?

Hi there - I recently transferred from a VERY old macbook to a "new to me" newer macbook pro running Ventura. After the transfer, I finally got everything reconnected but iMessages somehow pulled in over 700 "unread" messages and I cannot get the red bubble to go away. I've tried some fixes I found online and nothing is working. I tried to just let Siri run them out loud and delete but she stops after like two - and really getting through 700 that way is unrealistic. Help! :)

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 4:56 PM

5 replies

Apr 27, 2024 2:05 AM in response to leomama77

Delete a message

1. In the Messages app  on your Mac, select a conversation.
  2. Select one or more messages (including text messages, photos, videos, files, web links, audio messages, or emoji) in the transcript, press Delete, then click Delete in the dialog.

Note: When you delete a message, it’s moved to the Recently Deleted folder on your device, but not anyone else’s. When you want to delete a message for everyone, use Undo Send.

Apr 27, 2024 1:57 PM in response to leomama77

leomama77 wrote:

I tried this and scrolled down as far as I can - back to 2013 - got rid of about 100 but the rest must date further back and I don't see them in iMessages.

It may have occurred where Migration brought over an extra iMessages file

in Finder >> Hold OPTION key >> Go >> Library

Maneuver to Messages and open it

Look for a file that may have duplicate name with an appended number

If found, to check its' file size use the Command I ( eye )

It would give the size of the file

Example below

How can I get messages on my MacBook Pro to show 'read' rather than 'unread'?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.