Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Finder doesn't find files/folders on an external drive

I found out that Finder / Spotlight doesn't find files or folders which are in a specific external drive. How can that be and - more important - how can I include this drive when a search is requested? In general: How can I include all drives, the backup drive included?

Thanks in advance

Hans

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 9:15 AM

Iif that drive were Windows New Technology File System (NTFS) it would be expected that your Mac could not quickly find things on it, because the Mac files would be inside a Sparse Bundle Disk Image file.

But that drive SHOULD have been indexed when the rest of your Mac was indexed. If it was not connected when the rest of your Mac was imaged, perhaps it got overlooked.

you can create a new spotlight index of all connected drives by using this procedure. Within a hour or so of awake but not-too-busy time, it should be ready to go.

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2024 9:15 AM in response to hanyvo

Iif that drive were Windows New Technology File System (NTFS) it would be expected that your Mac could not quickly find things on it, because the Mac files would be inside a Sparse Bundle Disk Image file.

But that drive SHOULD have been indexed when the rest of your Mac was indexed. If it was not connected when the rest of your Mac was imaged, perhaps it got overlooked.

you can create a new spotlight index of all connected drives by using this procedure. Within a hour or so of awake but not-too-busy time, it should be ready to go.

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 27, 2024 9:46 AM in response to pullman

I can't connect it to another Mac as I posess only one Mac. and it is not protected with a password. Disk utility find the disk appearing to be ok. The suggestion of our friend Bennet-Alder above that the drive might have been overlooked when the Mac was indexed sounds very plausible to me. This drive is an external and I disconnected it because of an photo shoot I had some days (maybe a week or so) ago, so it wasn't available for the Mac. I have no problems with the other drives because they stayed in place during the indexing proces. I just started to rebuild the index of this drive. And wait patiently.

Thanks for now. I'll be back with the results of the rebuild.

Hans

Finder doesn't find files/folders on an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.