Dark mode appearance settings not saving

I've just purchased a Mac Studio and restored a time machine from my previous computer.

One of the settings that I prefer is having Dark mode as my appearance, as I find it much easier to use the computer. However, every time I log out, restart, shutdown the computer it reverts to the Light mode.

It's incredibly frustrating and I don't know why it's doing this. Is this a bug? Has anyone else had this problem?

I have other problems, but I'll address them in a separate topic.

I'm on Sonoma 14.4.1

Mac Studio, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 5:38 AM

5 replies

Apr 27, 2024 5:44 AM in response to Iambutatyrant

Iambutatyrant wrote:

I've just purchased a Mac Studio and restored a time machine from my previous computer.

One of the settings that I prefer is having Dark mode as my appearance, as I find it much easier to use the computer. However, every time I log out, restart, shutdown the computer it reverts to the Light mode.

It's incredibly frustrating and I don't know why it's doing this. Is this a bug? Has anyone else had this problem?

I have other problems, but I'll address them in a separate topic.

I'm on Sonoma 14.4.1

Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading.

It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

Does the issue present in this mode ?

Post back as a rely with the results

We may have additional suggestions

May 4, 2024 4:00 AM in response to PRP_53

Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Apologies for my slow response.

From my testing, the problem didn't appear to arise whilst in Safe Mode.

It still persists in normal boot up.

What would you recommend doing next?

Many thanks

May 4, 2024 4:27 AM in response to Iambutatyrant

Iambutatyrant wrote:

Restart in Safe Mode.
This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Apologies for my slow response.

From my testing, the problem didn't appear to arise whilst in Safe Mode.

It still persists in normal boot up.

What would you recommend doing next?

Many thanks

I would wait for my learned colleague @ Gabo0704 to offer instructions before offering additional suggestions

Dark mode appearance settings not saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.