Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iPod nano stuck in boot loop

Well, this is an odd question.

I found my old iPod nano (a first gen) that I purchased way back in May 2006 at the bottom of a box in my basement. Probably hasn't been turned on since 2011.

Miraculously, the battery worked. However, upon startup, it asked me to restore to iTunes. I plugged it into my M2 MacBook Air only for it to enter a bootloop, with three flashing screens.

1. The Apple Logo
  2. "Use iTunes to restore" in 3 different languages
  3. "Do not disconnect"

It flashes through that cycle in 2.12 seconds (recorded with stopwatch)

If I unplug it from my computer, it simply says "Do not disconnect". If I plug it into a wall, it goes to the screen "Use iTunes to restore".

My guess is that it is confused at what computer it's plugged into, considering when I purchased this I would've been using my PowerBook G4. I have another older computer from 2011 that I can try to restore it with.

I understand this is an impractical question...any ideas?

mdp1101

iPod nano

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 8:25 AM

1 reply

Apr 27, 2024 12:53 PM in response to mdp1101

mdp1101 wrote:

1. Well, this is an odd question.

I found my old iPod nano (a first gen) that I purchased way back in May 2006 at the bottom of a box in my basement. Probably hasn't been turned on since 2011.

Miraculously, the battery worked. However, upon startup, it asked me to restore to iTunes. I plugged it into my M2 MacBook Air only for it to enter a bootloop, with three flashing screens.

The Apple Logo
2. "Use iTunes to restore" in 3 different languages
3. "Do not disconnect"

It flashes through that cycle in 2.12 seconds (recorded with stopwatch)

If I unplug it from my computer, it simply says "Do not disconnect". If I plug it into a wall, it goes to the screen "Use iTunes to restore".

My guess is that it is confused at what computer it's plugged into, considering when I purchased this I would've been using my PowerBook G4. I have another older computer from 2011 that I can try to restore it with.

I understand this is an impractical question...any ideas?
mdp1101

You posted in macOS Sonoma....

There is an iPod support community you may have better luck:

https://discussions.apple.com/community/ipod

iPod nano stuck in boot loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.