Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

how can i remove the chip and battery from my unuseable ipad

iPad stuck on apple symbol. Had it checked from geek squad. They couldn’t fix. I want to remove chip and battery from this iPad and dispose. Please tell me how to do this

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 9:28 AM

3 replies

Apr 27, 2024 8:36 PM in response to Litalee111

When you say that you want to remove the "chip" - you mean the flash chip or chip(s) that hold data? I'm pretty sure those are soldered in, and not trivial to remove. Hopefully you were making backups, and/or synchronizing data through iCloud, and weren't counting on say, recovering photos that exist ONLY on the half-dead iPad.

If the iPad was in working condition, and you were getting rid of it, you'd want to follow the steps in

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

You may still want to follow the steps in the "If you no longer have your iPhone or iPad" section.

As far as disposing of the battery, I believe that Apple will accept the iPad for recycling. If you scroll down until close to the end of the trade-in page, there's a section on recycling.

Apple Trade In - Apple

Apr 28, 2024 5:43 AM in response to Litalee111

Litalee111 wrote:

iPad stuck on apple symbol. Had it checked from geek squad. They couldn’t fix. I want to remove chip and battery from this iPad and dispose. Please tell me how to do this

Chip? Perhaps you refer to the physical SIM Card used with a WiFi+Cellular iPad.

The iPad's battery is built-in - and cannot be removed.

SIM

The physical SIM tray can be awkward to eject. Using the SIM Tool supplied with your iPad, or a partially unfolded paperclip, place the tip in the tiny hole of the SIM tray. Do not insert the tool into any other aperture as you will cause damage.

Remove or switch the SIM card in your iPad - Apple Support

While keeping your fingers clear of the SIM tray, apply inward pressure to just the SIM Tool; you may have to press quite hard. The SIM tray, with the SIM Card, should pop-out.

If you are unable to remove the SIM tray from your iPad, you would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to assist:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

how can i remove the chip and battery from my unuseable ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.