Can I connect an iPad (9th Gen.) to an external screen

Hi,

I have a visually-impaired and wheelchair-bound student who has difficulty seeing presentations on the large, wall-mounted screen in the classroom.

Is there a way to get the presentations to appear on his iPad (9th Generation) which is mounted on his wheelchair so that he can follow along during the lesson?

Thank you.

Robert

iPad (9th generation)

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 9:34 AM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2024 4:36 PM in response to BSingerton

Hi Robert,

Re: "I have a visually-impaired and wheelchair-bound student who has difficulty seeing presentations

on the large, wall-mounted screen in the classroom.

Is there a way to get the presentations to appear on his iPad (9th Generation)

which is mounted on his wheelchair so that he can follow along during the lesson?"

Welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community, and thank you for posting your question to the community.

Am no expert in this area, yet your question surely deserves some reply!

Wondering. in what way you achieve the presentations on the large screen.

Eg: If you use a Mac to display the presentation on the large screen :

Apple support has an article online which may assist in accomplishing the help for your student:

(NB: Article is for MacOS Sonoma, else please choose an earlier Mac OS version at top of article for accuracy) See if you can Extend or mirror your Mac desktop across multiple displays - Apple Support

There are various ways to mirror the iPad screen to an external display, yet not so many in the other direction.

You may be able to use Sidecar to "mirror" the screens so that Mac and iPad display the same content.

See Use iPad as a second display for your Mac.

If you use the Keynote app:

See how to: Play a presentation on a separate display in Keynote on Mac - Apple Support

If you do not use a Mac:

At least this will get a discussion under way, and if you let us know more about the hardware and software you use for the lesson presentations, others with more expertise than either of us may contribute.

All the best :-)

Apr 29, 2024 3:13 PM in response to BSingerton

Thank you kindly for reading through my reply, and for responding with more info. As I say, am no expert in this area ... I don't know whether or not you can "daisy-chain" the display to the iPad.

(Seems iPad can use a HDMI cable yet Apple support's article: Connect iPad to a display with a cable - Apple Support is just for viewing the iPad screen on the display.)

Am thinking that mirroring the PC screen directly to the iPad is one possibility. Wondering if this (non-Apple) online Article may help wiih that:

https://www.imyfone.com/mirror-tips/mirror-pc-to-iphone-ipad/

Another article suggests the iPad can be used as a monitor ...

https://atechsland.com/using-your-ipad-as-a-monitor-via-hdmi/

Apr 29, 2024 1:04 AM in response to brbo

Hi brbo,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to respond.

Sorry, I should have provided more information regarding the current setup. There is a Windows 10 PC connected to the 'HDMI 1' port on the 55" wall-mounted screen. I can see other ports on this screen labelled 'HDMI 2', 'HDMI 3' and 'HDMI Out' that aren't in use. After some thought, I am guessing the 'HDMI Out' port is to allow a user to output the screen contents to a connected device. Do you know if there is a way to connect the iPad (9th Gen.) to this 'HDMI Out' port - possibly a cable adapter/converter of some sort?

Thank you.

Regards,

Robert

May 1, 2024 11:43 AM in response to brbo

Hi brbo,

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to research a solution for us to this issue.

I am delighted to report that using a Chromecast device one of my colleagues found in a drawer, has resolved the issue.

I, the student, and the school extend our grateful thanks to you for all your hard work and time.

Best wishes,

Robert

Can I connect an iPad (9th Gen.) to an external screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.