Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

connecting wireless router backup to my macbook

I would like to backup my macbook to an external hard drive connected to my router (ARRIS SURFBOARD AC 1600 CABLE MODEM).

First, I am a techno-impaired senior so please be gentler.

Second, I have tried without success to find a link that would explain how to do this.

Third, I am sooo hoping this router/modem will let me do that to an Apple product. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Air, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 11:50 AM

2 replies

Apr 27, 2024 1:51 PM in response to Tom Perkins1

The wireless router you referred to (Arris Surfboard AC1600 Cable Modem) does not have any data connection ports on the back to connect an external drive. (Assuming it's This One).

The typical backup setup uses Apple's Time Machine to backup to an external drive connected directly to your Mac. We recommend using an external drive that's at least twice the size of your Mac's internal storage. (If you have a 512GB Mac, you'd want a 1TB external drive).

Essentially, what you'd do is:

1. Connect the external drive to your Mac.
  2. Go to Applications-->Utilities-->Disk Utility
  3. In Disk Utility, format and erase this drive (to get rid of the unneeded stuff the drive manufacturer preloads onto it). This Apple Support article explains how to do this: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.
  4. (Optional) Rename your external drive using Finder
  5. Go to Applications-->Time Machine and set this drive up as your Time Machine backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

I hope this helps.

Apr 28, 2024 1:24 PM in response to MacMikeInOK

MacMike,

Thank you for your quick response! I made a mistake. I should have said my ASUS AX3000. Sigh. I do continually back up my Lacie external hardrive (actually have two, one is my safe deposit box) which I switch out monthly. However...I would love to have a "hands free" device, separate from my Mac, that could work beside my wireless. Sorry for the confusion.

connecting wireless router backup to my macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.