Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacBook Pro screen flickering after some hours of use

The screen of my MacBook Pro (13", 2017 model) starts flickering after a few hours of use.

Here's what I have gathered so far:

1) Issue goes away after I turn off for a while - maybe overheating related?

2) Issue does not occur on externally connected monitor - not GPU related

3) Issue does not appear in safe mode - must be software related?

4) Resetting PRAM/VRAM/SMC did not help

5) If I leave on after flickering, eventually the screen may go completely black

Any ideas/help greatly appreciated!

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 2:03 PM

2 replies

Apr 27, 2024 3:07 PM in response to christoforos18

christoforos18 wrote:

The screen of my MacBook Pro (13", 2017 model) starts flickering after a few hours of use.

Here's what I have gathered so far:

1) Issue goes away after I turn off for a while - maybe overheating related?
2) Issue does not occur on externally connected monitor - not GPU related
3) Issue does not appear in safe mode - must be software related?
4) Resetting PRAM/VRAM/SMC did not help
5) If I leave on after flickering, eventually the screen may go completely black

Any ideas/help greatly appreciated!

[Edited by Moderator]

if you suspect software—

You can get a good look at your User/System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

A Safeboot turns off system accelerations while in this mode— I might expect hardware issue

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Apr 27, 2024 4:21 PM in response to christoforos18

Hi leroydouglas, thanks a lot for the information - really helpful and I have done as you suggested.

I have included here the report, I see a major issue of 'kernel panics' but you may have further insight.

I also need to note that the flickering issue was not present when I ran the diagnostic. Not sure if it would make a difference, but in any case I can repeat when the screen goes again.

MacBook Pro screen flickering after some hours of use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.