Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Missing file hierarchy in desktop search!!

For some reason the file hierarchy no longer shows up in the bottom of the search box like it used to. When I search for a file or folder I need to know WHERE it is located--I often have backup drives attached and I need to know which folder is on which drive--suddenlythis location information is missing and it is like driving blind. I have found taht sometimes I can control -click and choose an option "find enclosing folder" which will allow me to see where the parent folder is--but this does not always work and it requires extra clicks, very slow process. What happneded?? (running MAC OSX Catalina)

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 4:26 PM

2 replies

Apr 28, 2024 10:34 AM in response to la_liotta

la_liotta wrote:

For some reason the file hierarchy no longer shows up in the bottom of the search box like it used to. When I search for a file or folder I need to know WHERE it is located--I often have backup drives attached and I need to know which folder is on which drive--suddenlythis location information is missing and it is like driving blind. I have found taht sometimes I can control -click and choose an option "find enclosing folder" which will allow me to see where the parent folder is--but this does not always work and it requires extra clicks, very slow process.
What happneded?? (running MAC OSX Catalina)

If you are asking about the Finder, and a Finder search...

Make a change to suit your needs from the drop down— Show Path Bar

Missing file hierarchy in desktop search!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.