Sharing a photo album in Photos does not work

I created a shared folder with photos from a recent trip, then shared it with about 8 family and friends. None of them reported receiving an invitation.

I see many other people have reported similar issues. Has this been fixed? Or does this feature simply not work and Apple hasn't gotten around to fixing it?

I'm on an iPhone Pro Max 14 with iOS 17.4.1 (the latest as of April 27th, 2024).

Thanks for any help.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 5:12 PM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2024 1:11 AM in response to toddphi

Do your friends also have Apple devices and are also using iCloud?

You mention both shared albums and shared folders? There are two methods of sharing selected photos - I am not sure which of them you tried, but shared folders will not work, if your friend are not having iCloud accounts, only shared albums shared as a public website will work then. You will have to copy and save the link and send it per mail.

• Shared albums: (How to use Shared Albums in Photos on your iPhone, iPad ...Apple Support) If your friends are having an Apple ID, you can send them an invitation to join your shared album, directly when you set up the shared album. For friends without an Apple I you can set up the Shared album as a public website, so they can view it online. Then send them an email with the URL.

Shared iCloud folders are not available in all countries, and you can currently not share the photos from your shared iCloud Photos library at www.icloud.com , only the photos from your personal iCloud Photos library.

Apr 28, 2024 9:12 AM in response to léonie

Yes my friends all have Apple iPhones and are using iCloud.

And yes I am attempting to share Albums and not folders.

I created the shared Album in Photos on my Mac, and then added invitees by selecting their emails as stored in Contacts. In Photos, when I select the "people" icon at the top of the window, I see the names of all the people I had invited. All of them have a question mark "?" in front of the their names. It is unclear/ambiguous what the question mark is supposed to indicate. Hey Apple, why do I have to guess???

Does it mean they received the invite but did not accept? Does it mean Photos does not recognize them as valid (even though they are), or does it mean the invitation was never sent for some unspecified reason? If I select the invitees' dropdown and select "Resend Invitation" Photos does not provide any confirmation of whether the invite was actually sent. The user is just left guessing. This is badly designed, Apple! Why doesn't it generate a "Sent Message" record somewhere -- perhaps in my Apple Mail Sent folder? It is impossible to troubleshoot because Photos gives zero information about what is happening.

I hope someone can help. It seems to me this feature (with so much ambiguity about what is causing the problems as explained above) is very poorly designed and I wish Apple would consider a total do-over of this feature.

Sharing a photo album in Photos does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.