Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Moving serval program's files, photos onto one SanDisk 1TB .How to set it up?

I have asked this before but did a lousy job of explaining it to you. If I want to export my photos and other important files like Quicken onto a single 1TB Extreme Portable SSD drive (Flash). How do I set it up so that when I want to add more photos or Quickens files to the flash drive it will automatically transfer into the right "folder" on the flash drive? Then later if I need to restore lost photos or Quickens I would just load up the flash drive and transfer only the "folder" that that program. Hope I did a better job explaining it!

iMac 27″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 27, 2024 5:26 PM

4 replies

Apr 27, 2024 6:15 PM in response to ronfrommurrieta

Let's see if I can offer some suggestions on how to go about doing this.

Let's start with your photos. If you are using the Apple Photos app for them, then it would be a simple matter of just copying the Photos Library "file" from your Mac to this external drive. You would then just "point" the Photo app to this external drive when accessing or saving your photos.

Ref: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

For Quicken, look to see if it offers the opportunity to save the Quicken files to an alternate location. If it does, then use this external drive at that location. You will have to resort to reviewing the Quicken user guide/help to see if this is possible.

With either app, it would "automatically" save it to the external drive.

If that isn't what you are looking for, then an alternative would be to create an AppleScript to try to automate this as much as possible.

Apr 29, 2024 2:19 PM in response to Tesserax

Here is what happened> First I sent 2269 Photos( Apple's program ) onto the flash drive. Then I went into MS Word for Mac and moved over to the Flash Drive about 1100 docs. When I went into the flash drive to see what was moved over, It started with many photos, went to Doc's for several transfers, started showing pictures, and later went back into Doc.s. What going on?? I figure ou can sit up Folders, one for Photos and one for MS Word.

Apr 29, 2024 3:08 PM in response to ronfrommurrieta

ronfrommurrieta wrote:

Here is what happened> First I sent 2269 Photos( Apple's program ) onto the flash drive. Then I went into MS Word for Mac and moved over to the Flash Drive about 1100 docs. When I went into the flash drive to see what was moved over, It started with many photos, went to Doc's for several transfers, started showing pictures, and later went back into Doc.s. What going on??

That's simply because the process of copying multiple files does not necessarily happen in a serial fashion.

Apr 29, 2024 4:09 PM in response to Tesserax

OK, I understand. Don't you think SanDisk would move into the 21st century? So I guess to play it safe, back to having more than one flash drive for important items one doesn't want to be lost in case of a crash.

I for Quickens

1 for MS Word

1 for Photos

I should have checked before forking out $80 for the last drive.

Thanks for your fast response.

Moving serval program's files, photos onto one SanDisk 1TB .How to set it up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.