Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

is bootcamp safe to use for macbook air?

i've been thinking about downloading it to play games on my 2023 macbook air but im not sure how safe it is; the last time i tried to download it on my 2019 macbook, the screen froze a bunch and it became extremely laggy; though that macbook did have a lot of internal issues so it was likely because of those, but i'd rather be safe than sorry! any help is appreciated thank you~

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 1:54 AM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2024 5:45 AM in response to donburae

Note that the iPhone, iPad, and Mac are now similar enough that iPhone and iPad apps can run on Apple Silicon Macs – if the developers allow it.

The user interfaces of iPhones and iPads are very different from the Mac user interface, and the screens of the iPhones and iPads are for the most part, much smaller. So apps will work best on the Mac if their developers do some extra work to make them adjust themselves for the platform on which they are running.

If you go into the App Store, you may see some game descriptions that say, in light print,

• "Designed for iPad", or
  • "Designed for iPad. Not verified for macOS"

Because there are a lot of people developing games for the iPhone and iPad, the ease with which a developer can make an iPhone or iPad game available on Apple Silicon Macs should be good news for Apple Silicon Macs.

Apr 28, 2024 5:17 AM in response to donburae

Note that with a VM on an "M-series" processor on a Mac, you will only be able to run the ARM64 version of Windows11. The impact of this is that any games that are Intel processor code will run in the Windows virtualization layer. Which means you will be running the game virtualized in the VM and then again virtualized on the Mac and the performance of the game will be likely lack luster if playable at all.

Apr 28, 2024 5:25 AM in response to donburae

Apple Silicon Macs do not run Intel versions of Windows. If you get a virtual machine application such as Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion, it will create ARM-based virtual machines - so you will not be able to install the regular versions of Windows 7, 8, 10, or 11. You will need an ARM-based version of Windows - and, ideally, Windows/ARM applications to go with it. Some vendors like Microsoft and Adobe are building those – but many continue to build their Windows applications just for the Intel platform.

Windows 11 for ARM does include some emulation or translation code that lets it run run applications originally built for Windows / Intel. But if you were thinking of playing some high-end game designed for Windows / Intel, I am not sure that running it in emulation or translation inside of Windows for ARM inside a virtual machine would offer quite the experience you were looking for.

Microsoft Support – Options for using Windows 11 with Mac® computers with Apple® M1®, M2™, and M3™ chips

"The Arm version of Windows 11 has limitations that can impact your ability to use various types of hardware, games, and apps, including those that rely on DirectX 12, a suite of multimedia technologies frequently used in Windows games and other apps."

Microsoft Support | Windows Arm-based PCs FAQ

is bootcamp safe to use for macbook air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.